CGM

CarysMia2711

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has done a freestyle libre vs dexcom comparison. I’m interested in getting a dexcom (self funded) but I know freestyle libre is on prescription

Thanks

D

Deleted Account

Financially, even if self funded, Libre is cheaper: for Dexcom you need to fund the receiver and transmitter as well as the sensor.
Functionally, Dexcom is richer than a standalone Libre because it can be used to alarm when it detects a BG out of range (too high or too low) or changing (going up or down) too fast. However, some geeks* have pimped their Libre to provide this capability.
Aesthetically, the Libre is smaller but it is only licensed to be warn on the arm whereas the bulkier Dexcom can be hidden on the belly.
Accuracy-wise, both measure interstitial fluid rather blood glucose which tends to be delayed about 15 - 20 minutes compared with a finger-prick test. The Libre is factory calibrated whereas the Dexcom is calibrated twice daily with a finger prick. Personally, I prefer this as it learns how your interstitial fluid differs from your BG.
However, I found neither to be close enough (or consistently different) to finger pricker for me to justify the expense.
Many find either brilliant - I guess it is a case of body-type, life style and sensitivity.

I trialled the Dexcom G4 because it is compatible with my pump. But have heard the G6 is being developed and soon to be released.

*I mean that in a friendly, non-derogatory way

Reactions: kev-w and therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @CarysMia2711 . I can't vouch for the libre but I can give feedback on dexcom G4.
Initial outlay is expensive but that is probably the only downside I can find with the system.
I've found it very accurate up to the point that the sensor comes to the end of its life. On my 5th sensor now. Current sensor is still spot on with BS readings after 20 days use. Previous 4 sensors lasted 2 x23 , 1 x 20 and 1 x 9 days respectively. The 9 day one bled on insertion and was also in use whilst I had the flu, not sure if either of these led to its early demise.
I would recommend the Dexcom, especially the G4.
There are a lot of threads on the forum discussing the Freestyle libre.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From what I've read on this forum the Dexcom is way better. I'm trying to get my insurance to cover it. The hypo alarm feature alone makes it better IMO.