Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
Hello
I have T1D from 4 years.I diagnosed high cholesterol level from last October i was 220 mg/dl
I took rosuvstatin crestor 10 mg for 2 months
Then made test i was 150 mg GP told me to stop medication and remade test after 2 months i was 192 mg and said no necessary to take medication just excercise and good diet
But i don't know what is good food someone told me corn flicks and fruits and 1 hour walking
But i forget to tell him im T1D
Wanna to hear your thoughts as i wanna to make this as daily style for incoming yeara
Sorry for bad English
bed8b71f8accf500d1602c53e171a22a.jpg

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was able to significantly improve my cholesterol levels by adding 30g of ground flax seed daily to my diet. As long as I eea the flax seed, I can eat pretty much anything. This is my personal experience, may not work for everyone.

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Bassiette,
I suggest you simply ask your doctors what kind of food you should avoid. I had high cholesterol levels a few years ago, and I was told to avoid full-fat milk and full-fat yogurt, then cheese, butter, red meat (that is veal, pork, mutton, beef…), fat fish (salmon, mackarel, tuna), and all kind of animal fat. And to avoid every kind of fat used for cooking. I mean: I could use olive oil, but not for cooking. I could only add it on food that had been cooked without using any fat. Only two eggs a week were allowed. No cream, no margarine, no mussels, no sausages, no ham, no bacon. I had to be careful even with nuts, hazelnuts, pistachios and seeds in general: only a tiny bit were allowed every week (some 30 gr). Of course no mayonnaise, no salad dressing sold in bottles, no pre-cooked plates, and no pizza.

Good foods were: low-fat milk and yogurt, then cottage cheese (but no other kinds of cheese, as I said), then 'white meat' (chicken, rabbit, turkey), and lean fish (ask you r doctor, as I don't like fish very musch and can only recommend codfish and trout… but there are plenty you could choose from) and then vegetables, and home-made bread (I bake it myself without using fats like oil or lard), and pasta, and fruit.

One important thing to bear in mind is that one should learn to cook without added fat, especially no cooked (heated) fat. I used vegetal stock instead of oil, or simply water, and sometimes wine (but I found wine to be a little too hard to digest). I steam-cooked nearly everything, or I baked in foil the fish (you wrap the fish in a foil of aluminium together with a little garlic, salt, pepper and some herbs, then bake it for some 30 minutes depending on the fish size).

Anyway, ask your doctor, who will certainly suggest a wider variety of good foods and good ways of cooking.

I can only add this: I discovered that cholesterol levels vary wildly according to seasons. To some extent, that is true for everybody, but as for me it was not a matter of 5/10 units higher or lower: it varied (and it still does) by 50/60 units depending on the time of year.

So perhaps you could try and test what your cholesterol level is, at different times of the year. Maybe you will find that in spring/summer you can relax a little, while being more careful in winter.

I wish you all the best and hope I wasn't too boring with my lists and suggestions.

Be well and take good care of yourself!

Reactions: Bassiette