Stress

jimbocolvie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, this may be a stupid thread but was wondering how people deal with stress and how it effects them while using the pump. I'm going through a big amount of stress at the moment because of work and my manager being really unhelpful, you don't really need to know the ins and outs of it but it's got me on a big low emotionally. I'm not really eating, not caring generally! I've have more low bgs then a few highs and on the upside this is a good opportunity to do the fasting tests to see if i need to tweak my pump but was wondering what others do when the poop hits the fan?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @jimbocolvie Not a stupid thread at all, not in the slightest :)

Stress releases hormones, hormones impact BG control, so yes this is very real and it does cause issues with your control. My best advice is that if you cannot change the environment in which you work try doing some exercise to help you manage your stress better, so get out for a long walk at lunchtime, take up running, swimming or something that will help release some endorphins and make you feel mentally better about the stress, it will also help sleep and you will naturally feel hungry as a result, try to eat as healthily as you can, it's easy to turn to alcohol and/or rubbish food when stressed out, when you eat chew your food more slowly and take your time.

Hopefully the stressful environment will ease, but how you deal with it now will help you both physically and mentally cope better too, best wishes been there and I know it's pretty awful.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Stress impacts everyone differently. Then there are different sorts of stress, for example a bully boss vs Skydiving. I thrive on stress . meeting silly dead lines and jumping out of planes, although I don't find that stressful, competing in competition, now that is seriously stressful. I find a 20Km ride on a pushbike to work (then back) really keeps me calm and refreshed.