Low Blood Sugar

clare-marie108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
39 years old and diagnosed type 1 for 5 weeks now. My bloods were so high to start with 22.8, I was on novomix at 1st but within a week I was put on Levemir - 7 in the morning 6 in the evening and novorapid - 1 unit/15g of carbs, this had stabilised things but when I went to my nurse on Tuesday she said that I was having to many hypo’s and reduced the levirmir by 1 unit in the morning. But I’m still getting really low! Any advice please
X

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi All
39 years old and diagnosed type 1 for 5 weeks now. My bloods were so high to start with 22.8, I was on novomix at 1st but within a week I was put on Levemir - 7 in the morning 6 in the evening and novorapid - 1 unit/15g of carbs, this had stabilised things but when I went to my nurse on Tuesday she said that I was having to many hypo’s and reduced the levirmir by 1 unit in the morning. But I’m still getting really low! Any advice please
X

At 5 weeks you are probably still honeymooning which makes getting dosage correct on a regular basis, very difficult.

The idea behind this is that when you start taking insulin, it gives your pancreas a bit of a rest and it recuperates to the point where it can produce small amounts of insulin. This adds to your injected insulin, driving your blood glucose levels low. It is sporadic and it may last a few days or a few months (maybe longer).

Keep talking to your medical team for advice on dosage if you're struggling.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Keep talking to your medical team for advice on dosage if you're struggling.
Yes, you probably need to reduce the insulin some more but at this stage in your diagnosis it's best to get advice from the nurse rather than just doing it yourself. Give it a few months/ years and you'll have the experience and confidence to make adjustments yourself.... :)

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hypos are dangerous, especially if you live alone. If you are having frequent lows you mustn't hesitate to ask for medical team to help. It is better to aim high and slowly reduce your sugars than to be too low and try to gradually increase them.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
X
Im 10 months into being a type 1. And its a roll of the dice what my pancreas wants to do. Some days I'm fine and manage with very small doses of insulin and others im peeing against the wind.

The nurses started me off on 4 untis of Lantus (my long lasting insulin) it was reduced to 3 then 2 units due to fighting off mild hypos. This is what they will probably do with you if you keep dipping low. They may also reduce your rapid insulin if you are dipping low straight after meals. I take 2 units of novorapid for a 90-100g carb meal ( no bread though as it's quite a blood spiker). Saying that though I have upped my rapid insulin this week as my pancreas is being a bit lazy and must be having a few days off from helping me.

It's trial and error, but always get advice from your diabetes nurses if you feel you are constantly fighting the lows. A quick phone call for advice is all it takes.

Good luck

Reactions: becca59