Insulin pump recommended or not?

Nikkinakkinu9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Does the pump eradicate the tiredness associated with type one diabetes?

A consultant explained to me as a teenager that tiredness sadly goes hand in hand with diabetes due to a major organ (the pancreas) not working. I’ve been a Type one diabetic 26 years and only ever known hypodermic syringes and the self mixing of my insulin in glass bottles later followed by the pen.

I’m now becoming interested in a pump and would be interested in knowing more about it and whether others who have them would recommend them and what they feel the benefits are against the use of a pen.

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks!

D

Deleted Account

I have had type 1 for 14 years and only experience tiredness when my BG is too high or too low.
I managed my diabetes through basal bolus injections for 12 years and avoided high and low BG most of the time so rarely felt tired due to diabetes.

The value of a pump is that it gives you to adjust your basal dose. This may be, for example, because you need more insulin at the start of the day or less insulin during exercise.
I have had my pump for two years and found it incredibly useful for exercise and been able to noticeably improve.
However, it is not a silver bullet: it took some time to get my basal levels correct, it requires close carb counting, it requires set changes (including inserting the cannula) every 2 or 3 days, it is difficult to hide so my diabetes is "on show" most of the time ...

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You shouldn't really be experiencing tiredness all the time if your BG is in range......

if yours isn't then a pump would help, but so would a sound knowledge and understanding of dose adjustment in general...

iHs

I always felt tired in the evening when using Humalog Mix and Humalog with Lantus. Once I changed to using Apidra with Lantus, the tiredness stopped.