French creperie

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, am following the low carb programme and doing well, but we are invited out to dinner on Friday to a French creperie, a Breton speciality often made with buckwheat and filled with savoury stuff and salad. Would anyone know what the carbs would be for the pancake itself? I can choose a filling to suit the programme. Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, am following the low carb programme and doing well, but we are invited out to dinner on Friday to a French creperie, a Breton speciality often made with buckwheat and filled with savoury stuff and salad. Would anyone know what the carbs would be for the pancake itself? I can choose a filling to suit the programme. Thanks

Is the creperie part of a chain? You could ask them for the nutritional values of their menu. In UK, they should be able to oblige.

Reactions: mrsspenny

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could work out how many carbs there are in a white flour crepe,
then compare the carbs in white flour with buckwheat flour.
That should give you a comparison.

For instance, if white flour has 15g carbs a crepe, and
Buckwheat flour has 2/3rd the carbs of white flour, then
a buckwheat crepe has approx 10g flour in it, assuming size, thickness and other ingredients are comparable.

(all figs are just examples, you would have to do some googling to get the real values)

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
You should call ahead or check out their website (if they have one). They might very well have other offerings, like bacon & eggs etc. Won't hurt to ask.

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is the creperie part of a chain? You could ask them for the nutritional values of their menu. In UK, they should be able to oblige.
Unfortunately not part of a chain, but a good suggestion, thank you.

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could work out how many carbs there are in a white flour crepe,
then compare the carbs in white flour with buckwheat flour.
That should give you a comparison.

For instance, if white flour has 15g carbs a crepe, and
Buckwheat flour has 2/3rd the carbs of white flour, then
a buckwheat crepe has approx 10g flour in it, assuming size, thickness and other ingredients are comparable.

(all figs are just examples, you would have to do some googling to get the real values)
Yes I will do that before I go. I do love galettes.....

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should call ahead or check out their website (if they have one). They might very well have other offerings, like bacon & eggs etc. Won't hurt to ask.
I looked on their website but they don’t publish a menu. However there were pictures of Moules and poussain so there will be other options. I just really want a crispy galette Breton with cheese and merguez...... we go over to Brittany often and every town and village has a creperie so it would be handy to know so I can allow for a treat now and then. Once I figure the carbs out I will post on this thread in case anyone else would like the information.

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After some more research into the recipe for Galette Breton the usual is: 2 cups buckwheat flour, 2 cups water and salt, with small amount oil and butter to cook. This makes 10 galettes, one per serving. If the wholemeal buckwheat flour is 80g carbs per cup (78.4) then 2 cups makes 10 galettes at 16g carbs per serving. Not too bad for an occasional treat as long as I stick to low carb fillings.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After some more research into the recipe for Galette Breton the usual is: 2 cups buckwheat flour, 2 cups water and salt, with small amount oil and butter to cook. This makes 10 galettes, one per serving. If the wholemeal buckwheat flour is 80g carbs per cup (78.4) then 2 cups makes 10 galettes at 16g carbs per serving. Not too bad for an occasional treat as long as I stick to low carb fillings.
You could always treat this time as an experiment by testing BS before and after. Then you would know what affect it had and whether you can keep enjoying this treat when you go over to Brittany!

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could always treat this time as an experiment by testing BS before and after. Then you would know what affect it had and whether you can keep enjoying this treat when you go over to Brittany!
Hi Mongolia, I did test a couple of hours after eating our meal out and the reading was ok, 4.6 if I remember correctly. I expected worse, but my present dose of Gliclazide is higher than I need on my current low carb diet I feel, so that probably helped. Will see if the dose is reduced next week