Help needed

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Obviously this person was in trouble, and all syptoms point to a hypo.
Phil chap, thanks. I was in a pickle. I don't know if I was high or low, maybe I've made myself go high but it seems to be alot better so thanks

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And here's me thinking I've read nearly all about type 2 and wallop obviously I haven't.

Jessiefless

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey - I’ve had this as well, usually related to an extra early get up, lack of sleep, not eaten much - I’ve been told to ride it out and drink water rather than reach for something and then over compensate. It you are T2 you are still producing insulin so it definitely isn’t a real hypo but it is ****** awful! Hope you are feeling better!!

Edited by mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow wow wow ok. Just read the link about false hypos. Wish I'd known earlier but I've had to cram so much info in lately my heads a mess. It must of been false because I'm on standard met. But not had much sleep and this is the first week since I started that I'm up at 4.00 every morning. For warned is for armed. I'll know next time to just sit tight. My god if it wasn't for this site and you guys I'd be a mess on the floor right now. To know I can get help is amazing. I'll never getting to say thanks enough.

Reactions: catinahat

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Obviously this person was in trouble, and all syptoms point to a hypo.

I understand that you that you were trying to help, but I think it needed pointing out that it's wise to check what medication people are on and what form of diabetes they have.Before offering what could be inappropriate advice

Reactions: Allanmax

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In a way catinahat its helped at least myself. Ok maybe I've upped my glucose eating that bar. Obviously it was going to get better anyway now I know about them, but now I also know that if anybody makes a call out for help like I did, I will ask for type and meds before offering help so no real harm done this time and a couple of lessons learnt for me. I'm just so grateful.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I understand that you that you were trying to help, but I think it needed pointing out that it's wise to check what medication people are on and what form of diabetes they have.Before offering what could be inappropriate advice
People like you stand by and watch while others are in trouble then think you know it all after the event, this person needed help and everything pointed to a hypo

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't get in an argument about my position. I feel bad enough already. Nobodies sitting around waiting for the call out for help. I was panicking. Phil isn't a trained nurse. I'm fine now. Maybe somebody type 1 could of been different but in this case no harm done. Another learning curve for all, mainly me. I want to thank everybody for who responded to what I thought was going to develop into something horrible. I know better now. We all have to learn new things.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Mike d

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
People like me ??? You don't know me
Oh and by the way, T2 on Metformin ? Nothing pointed to a hypo
Sorry but it did feel like it to my unknowledgable head. Had I known before I had it I wouldn't of panicked. But I didn't and what little I've read about hypos which is vertually nothing because I've been told I'm never going to get them, I had every sign of a real one.

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started by feeling weird, then went thick headed and woozy. My legs went weak and I seriously thought I was going to faint. I staggered over to a chair. By that time sweat was pouring off my face and my hands where heavy and shaking so much I couldn't control them whilst typing. Which then got me confused about what I was trying to type and what the hell was I going to do. My heart started pounding an I really started panicking as to how to get help. Does that not sound like a hypo or is a hypo different to that? Please remember that a month ago I knew nothing about diabetics or the effects.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Continued bickering on this thread will be moderated - please read forum rules and respect each other's views without attacking them, we are all here to help each other.

Hello @Allanmax Glad you're ok now, as others have said getting a meter will help you know what's going on, so I hope you get access to one soon, best wishes J

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorting one out today, wife been on to the doctors. If not I'm buying one. It's only money and I need to sort it. Thanks for help.

Reactions: Antje77

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Allanmax. Glad your feeling better. Defo get onto your GP about a meter especially with you working on machinery. Loads to take in when 1st diagnosed, trust me it will get easier

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Allanmax. Glad your feeling better. Defo get onto your GP about a meter especially with you working on machinery. Loads to take in when 1st diagnosed, trust me it will get easier

He will be a very lucky person indeed if he gets testing equipment on prescription. He is T2 on Metformin only. He is no more likely to hypo than a non-diabetic. (He could, but it is extremely rare). Working machinery/driving only come into play for T2s if we are on blood glucose lowering drugs, which Metformin isn't. Sad, but true. At best he may be given a meter and a few strips, but these will be insufficient and likely to be withdrawn on his next review.

Reactions: Allanmax

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorting one out today, wife been on to the doctors. If not I'm buying one. It's only money and I need to sort it. Thanks for help.

Allanmax - When I was first diagnosed, I had the odd, feeling empty, a bit odd moments, which obviously aren't anything like how you felt. Everyone reacts differently when they're bringing those pesky sugars down.

When I read about false hypos it all made sense, as did the advice not to automatically reach for a fizzy drink of glucose tablets, but it was uncomfortable enough to want to do something. I quickly worked out that for me (and I stress for me), having a cup of tea, just with some milk in it was enough to distract my system from feeling odd. The milk in the tea would just give my body something to cope with until my natural processes could kick in to help me feel better. That could be something to try if this happens again.

As others have said, at this point a meter is definitely your best friend. That level of personal, real time feed back on what's actually going on, rather than wonder if your a bit low, really low or better do something about this low.

Most T2s find those feelings pass quite quickly.

As you are probably gathering from the posts on your thread, Type 1s would need to take different steps in your situation.

Every day's a school day.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
False hypo? ****** **** that's a another thing? Just had a banana and half a marathon bar and it seems to be receding a little. God that's scarey

Edited by mod for language.

Hi there,

False hypo; for a prolonged period you will have been running high sugar levels & got used to it? Of course these high levels aren't doing your health any favours.
Your blood may have dropped down to a normal level leaving your body in a state of shock..

Think along the lines of a functioning alcoholic not getting a drink.? It's sort of "cold turkey."

Getting a meter will not only verify your BG status in the event of a possible hypo like episode, but also help with your day to day overal managment finding out what the effects of your diet on the system.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
He will be a very lucky person indeed if he gets testing equipment on prescription. He is T2 on Metformin only. He is no more likely to hypo than a non-diabetic. (He could, but it is extremely rare). Working machinery/driving only come into play for T2s if we are on blood glucose lowering drugs, which Metformin isn't. Sad, but true. At best he may be given a meter and a few strips, but these will be insufficient and likely to be withdrawn on his next review.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I have learned something new AGAIN today lol :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802