Running and Type 1

Olive_Deme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello

I’m a type one and have been since I was 4yrs old... I’m now 33! Nice to connect with you! It’s also my first ever post in a forum so please bear with me if I’m missing information I should be writing in here to help explain my question...

I have a question and can’t seem to find any information on this online...

So I have enjoyed running for many years, I’m not a professional or anything! But it’s one of my favourite forms of exercise so I tend to stick with it.

To give you background, when I was a lot younger, whenever I would do any kind of exercise I would always need some form of sugar (like juice and a biscuit) prior to exercising otherwise my blood sugars would drop. As I got older, and approx 5-7 years ago I stopped needing any sugar (or something very minimal) before running and my blood sugars seemed to be fine.

However, recently (maybe last 6months to year) I’ve noticed that my blood sugar seems to increase whilst running! It’s got worse more recently. This isn’t something I’ve ever heard of (although I don’t actually know many diabetics). For example, before running my blood sugar could be 8 but after running (say 45mins of exercise including uphill) it’s shot up to 18!!! This tends to happen if I run in the morning before breakfast.

I have the Freestyle Libre so I know I’m not having a hypo and then shooting up. It actually just increases from 8 to 18 in 45mins!!!

My HB tends to range between 7-8. Not perfect but as good as I can get it for now. So a blood sugar of 18 is not something I have usually, and it actually makes me really tired and out of breath, which ruins my workout. I’ve even tried 2 units of fast acting insulin before running but it actually makes no difference.

I’ve tried speaking my nurse but they haven’t actually given me much of an answer other than blood sugars can increase early morning naturally and that I should increase my background insulin. For context my background insulin is split into 2 doses - I take half in the morning and half at night.

Has anyone ever had or heard of this problem? I wonder if it something to do with adrenaline release. Any ideas would be great as I am really confused with what to do or who to talk to and it’s actually upsetting me!!!

Thanks so much in advance

Evey

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Evey,

Aerobic exercise (like running up a hill or sprinting) can push blood sugar up. This is because of adrenaline (a hormone that makes you insulin resistant and increases blood sugar) and because your muscles/liver might be releasing their glucose stores to fuel the exercise, but it can't get into the cells that need it because, umm you don't make insulin. If so a bolused for breakfast pre run might help combat the rise.

Lots of body builders will bolus for a workout because they know it makes them go high. When I've done HIIT training a bootcamp I tell my trainer I must have worked hard because it's made me go hyper.

So have you changed your training in the last 6 months? More hills? more sprinting?

It could also be dawn phenomenon playing a part. Have you basal tested when not running to see if you get a rise?

Olive_Deme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello

Thanks so much for your message back!
I have recently moved home and the park near me is on a big hill, so running uphill is fairly new for me and an achievement that I’ve been building it up and now running up the hill without stopping. I have been feeling the difference so yes it could definitely be that as the timings definitely match too.

If I test when not running my levels are fine, although do creep up if I have a late breakfast, but I can manage that as I just have a couple of units anyway and it’s fine. It’s the mornings when I run it happens.

So are you suggesting more fast acting insulin before I run? I’m not on the pump, I take injections.

Thanks again

Evey

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Olive_Deme I agree with the release of adrenaline if your pushing harder and the extra glucose release, it happens to me but only when I run longer than 5kms, have you tried looking at runsweet.com for information ? Also there is an event being held at Worcs Uni on 13th May for t1 folk who exercise, the focus of the event is to discuss strategies for different types of exercise and is being run by t1's, 1bloodydrop.com is the group organising the event.

I use a pump so have my own strategy which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, it's based on insulin on board, duration of exercise, heat, carbs eaten and the use of a Libre, mostly I do ok but it still goes wrong, my best tip is to not let it get you down, running to me is freedom and a chance to not think about t1, I feel tons better when I've had a run and it keeps me fit, not letting the highs and lows affect this and continuing to exercise is my priority.