Insulin change & feet ???

Kash2001

Hi Guys

I have recently change insulins to Apodra & Lantus as I was not getting quick enough effects from Novarapid etc.

Anyway since being on this new regime for about 2 weeks, I have starts noticing a change in my feet. Just to give a little background my feet have always been in perfect health, I have an excellent pulse good sensitivity and never had any issues with my feet I'm in my forties now and have very little capillary "marking" when the small capillaries go blueish at the surface of the skin.

These changes have been very rapid, I am suffering from deep short splits in my heals and side of foot, noticed when I got out of bed and put my foot down a week ago a sharp pain caused by a fine but deep split, Looking at my feet under closer inspection I have very small splits about 4 in total around as mentioned heels and side of foot.

The skin around this area especially around the heel is dry, rough and yellowish which I've never had before. I looked for a over the counter cream and found one for diabetic feet , the pic looks like an exaggerated version of my condition, it is helping but the splits are taking a while to heal.

Also my hands have been much dryer and rougher almost leathery, I not a moisturizing man usually, as my skin is quite oily (cant think of a better description) I've never really had dry skin.
Is it likely that the insulin change is having an effect on the skin as it seems more than a coincidence that this has occurred since the change in insulin.

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be welcome.

Should I go tot the clinic to speak to drs about it, as if it continues I will have to look into changing my insulins as this is not good.

ATB
Kash

ishjohno

My hubby had the exact same problem and he's not a diabetic :D

You just need to make a visit to a Chiropodist who will remove the thick hard skin, you may need several treatments and your feet will be back to normal.

I'm a T1, have not had the same problem as you but I visit the Chiropodist every 3 months and have a
regular check up and any dry skin taken off my heels.

I don't think it's the insulin but it's best to check with your doctor/diabetic team/nurse.

Hope all goes well!

levana

Hi Kash,
If your sugar levels are fine, it is rather unlikely that the changes in your skin condition are a result of your recent change of diabetes treatment.
Perhaps there is some other change in your daily routine? Maybe you have moved to an area with a drier weather? Working long hours in an office with an air conditioning and not enough moisture in the air? Or perhaps you were infected by a fungus somehow? (high sugar levels are very pleasant for fungus to develop in, by the way).

In case you sugar levels are not in good balance, I would suggest doing your best to balance them. Even if this does not have to do with your feet condition, it will certainly be great and healthy for you.

My last and most obvious advice to you is, naturally, to consult a physician, since they studied for many years, and they are getting paid to give a reliable opinion in such matters...

Snodger

the other thing to try out, if you can (if you still have supplies of the old insulin) is going back on your old regime and seeing if it solves the foot problem.

Kash2001

Snodger said:
the other thing to try out, if you can (if you still have supplies of the old insulin) is going back on your old regime and seeing if it solves the foot problem.

Good thought I do have some remaining, the control is better on this insulin, its almost as if my body was getting to use to the older insulin & just not absorbing it well, I have found that this stuff stings when injecting, but I can deal with that.

Ill speak to the drs as its odd that my skin has dried out since being on this insulin.

Atb
Kash