Peripheral Neuropathy

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes two months ago with a hbAc1 result of 88 - I've since been on metformin, sitaglyptin and stuck to major lifestyle changes and brought it down to 57. My consultant said I could even reverse it if i continue the current routine. However - about five days ago I started experiencing what I think are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy: pins and needles in my feets, hands, legs and arms, itchiness all over and general sharp pains. I feel really depressed that this has started considering all my good work - has anyone experienced this and can you tell me what the outlook is? Does it go after a while if blood sugar levels continue to fall? How long will it last for? Any advice or tips would be fantastic, thank you.

I experienced the same when my HBA1C was high at 85. The pins and needles disappeared when the HBA1C dropped to 38. The good news is it is “reversible” and you need to maintain tight control for the rest of your life.

I was also advised by my endo to take
L-Carnosine capsules per day, long-term, to prevent further nerve damage.

Good luck!

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
does anyone have a concept of how much Alpha Lipoic Acid to take daily/ twice daily / 3x daily? Also, is there some brand better than others?

The only doctor I have ever heard talk about it is Dr. Bernstein during one of his lectures and he says it doesn't work on everyone,
I started taking 400mg of R-ALA twice per day. My neuropathy did improve quite a bit but hasn't gone away. I have gone down to 2 x 200mg now since improvement stopped. My neuropathy isn't bad and I can live with it if it stays where it is. My last HbA1C was 5.7 and has been good for a year now.
Glenn

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe if you take R-ALA for nerve pain then it needs to be quite a high dose- 600-800mg daily to be effective. Hubby took this for a while last autumn and then we ran out (!) Have just ordered some more as he wants to try it again. I think also that if it's going to work, it doesn't happen overnight but needs to 'build up' in the system. He also takes L-carnosine.

will let you know if the two together make any difference.....

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Sam50
I had a total dose of 800mg as 2 x 400 per day. The effect was pretty rapid. Within a week I noticed improvement. It hasn't gone away and improvement has plateaued. It is still a good result as it isn't too bad any more. I only halved the dose because it wasn't making any further difference. I keep taking it because I'm too frightened to stop just in case.
Glenn