Basmati rice

broads

I always use basmati rice. I read somewhere that brown Basmati is better for you than white. Any comments please? Does it make much difference?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Depends on what you mean by "better for you", but brown rice has the husk still on and is slightly slower to digest, so it doesn't raise the BG so fast. Basmati is a lower GI rice anyway. So it's slower digested.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I have Basmati rice about once a week, I'd have it more if my wife would let me, same with pasta but she makes me eat a balanced diet, any way back to basmati :lol: It puts me up about 1.0 to 1.1 after 2,3 or 4 hours so for me I see no reason to cut it out. However, I would advise you test before and 2 hours after, possibly after 3 or 4 too to be sure and then act on the results. Everyone is differant.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
As Cameraman has found out, different foods affect different people in different ways. If I have a Chinese or Indian dish with a small amount of rice, my BS goes from 5-6 pre-prandial up to 10-12 post-prandial. If I have a nan bread with it instead my BS only goes up to 8-9ish.

Thirsty

I find it helps to thoroughly rinse basmati before cooking (keep at it until the water runs clear), and then again with boiling water when it's cooked. This removes a lot of starch and stops the rice sticking together. Worth a try.

Trinkwasser

Thirsty said:
I find it helps to thoroughly rinse basmati before cooking (keep at it until the water runs clear), and then again with boiling water when it's cooked. This removes a lot of starch and stops the rice sticking together. Worth a try.

Yes and undercooked/al dente is much better than overcooked for much the same reason.

J19821

Basmati rice for dinner seems to work for me as my fasting bs is much lower the next morning. Any other experiences?

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never tried basmati rice. Will keep an eye on the thread for more info.

P

pollensa

I always use basmati rice. I read somewhere that brown Basmati is better for you than white. Any comments please? Does it make much difference?
Difficult one, as it all boils down to individual circumstances and case, for sure, brown rice seems better option if one is able and or wants to indulge in rice, from a personal point of view if worth anything, I choose not to eat rice at all, and view white basamati, or brown, as high carbs, i.e. dont put in, incase it spikes well controlled levels, I dont take the risk, but if any help, I substitute rice by grating cauliflour and its yummie! so different, and can eat without worrying if it will spike or feel guilty, I even grate and make pizza crust and crust for quiche, look on keto eating www.dietdoctor.com super recipes and recommendations surrounding rice and most foods, excellent website in every way, love it it bits.

Hope this helps, and happy grating in the kitchen with Cauliflour, always a solution somehow, however, if your individual situation allows rice, to my knowledge brown basmati v. white basmati, I would go for the "brown". everytime.

P

pollensa

As Cameraman has found out, different foods affect different people in different ways. If I have a Chinese or Indian dish with a small amount of rice, my BS goes from 5-6 pre-prandial up to 10-12 post-prandial. If I have a nan bread with it instead my BS only goes up to 8-9ish.
Exactly!.