Possible allergy to insulin

cake84

Hi all
I was hoping to get some opinions on the possibility of an insulin allergy.
I've had type 1 for 26 years (I'm now 27). Since I was 13 I have really struggled with excessive perspiration over my whole body. I spend the entire summer sitting in front of a fan and I have to be very careful about what I do incase I get overheated. I cant describe enough how bad it is. Until recently my control was fine and my weight was normal so thats not the cause. I remember my insulin being changed around the same time to human insulin. I don't know if it's possible but I've been wondering if I have an allergy to the insulin that could be causing it? I've tried everything else and my insulin is the only thing I haven't changed. I don't know if there are any tests that can be done to find out?

sugar2

I have no personal experience...but I know that it is possible. Could you discuss chaning to an animal insulin...for say a 3 month period, and see how it goes? Thatw ould help answer your question at least...and if you control improved great, if it got worse, but you were not suffering with the heat, then at least you have nan answer, and could then work on getting better control with your new regime? One of the posters on this board..Janabelle, is very active in the campaign, that human insulin is not for everyone...have at look at some of her posts...might point you in teh right direction?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cake84,

There's no harm in asking to be changed to an alternative insulin if you are sure this is the cause, but have you discussed your perspiration problem with your gp and had blood tests done to rule out everything else?

Nigel

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
There are many causes of excessive sweating, many of them completely unrelated to medications or diabetes.
I'd suggest talking to your GP about it before asking to change medications, as that can be difficult and disruptive. It may not have anything to do with it, except the timing.

Clairslloyd

I also suffer from excessive sweating but do not take insulin. The only meds I took were Amitriptyline but my sweats began even before that. I put it down to sugar as after I eatand during I would sweat profusely and then it will settle down - not sure if that helps. I also keep a fan to hand just in case :lol: