Very Confused And Scared

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi pal, I weighed 16st 3 weeks ago. Already lost 6 lb. I’m 6ft3. I wouldnt say I’m fat, but do have a tyre I could do with losing. All the weight is around my stomach. I tested my bg this morning and it was 8-0. I have had 2 slices of seeded bread with earthy peanut butter. 2 hrs later my bg went up to 10.4.
I really need to find an alternative to my carbs that will satisfy me.
I have to admit I had the sweetest tooth on the planet. In the last 3 weeks I have not had a single bit of sugar, and it really hasn’t bothered me. But to not eat bread really is upsetting.
Hi mate good that you have reduced your sugar intake. Good start on weight loss as well. If you cant do without bread there are some low carb breads out there. I'm lucky in a way as find low carb easy. If you reduce carbs remember to have the extra fat to make you feel fuller.
I have a lot of weight to loose so went on LCHF on 30th April. My HbA1c was 82, Bg 16.6 and 157Kg. I do 18/6 fasting, no food from 20.00 till 14.00 next day with just black tea, coffee and water during fast. I have now reduced my carbs to 5% or less a day. First month lost 8.4 kg and got Bg down to 7.0 (currently running at 4.4 average over 7 days)
Like I said it will get easier mate, plenty of support on here. :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi pal, I weighed 16st 3 weeks ago. Already lost 6 lb. I’m 6ft3. I wouldnt say I’m fat, but do have a tyre I could do with losing. All the weight is around my stomach.

But to not eat bread really is upsetting.
@Bigjohno It's the fat around your middle which is the worst. It means you have visceral fat around, and probably in, your liver and pancreas which prevents them from working properly. Well done on losing 6 lbs, as you lose more weight your blood glucose should also reduce.

You could try Burgen Soya & Linseed bread which is the lowest carb mass produced bread, avilable in most big supermarkets.
But test to see how it affects you.

Reactions: Bigjohnjo

Bigjohnjo

@Bigjohno It's the fat around your middle which is the worst. It means you have visceral fat around, and probably in, your liver and pancreas which prevents them from working properly. Well done on losing 6 lbs, as you lose more weight your blood glucose should also reduce.

You could try Burgen Soya & Linseed bread which is the lowest carb mass produced bread, avilable in most big supermarkets.

Thank you. it really is making me feel better getting all these replies, and knowing there is help out there.

Reactions: jayney27 and Prem51

Bigjohnjo

Thanks. I’ll look out for that.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me being me - typical Aries character apparently even though I don't believe a word of it - I went low carb from the moment I was diagnosed and ordered a whole lamb from the butcher on the way home.
80 days later I was no longer in the diabetic range for Hba1c, six months later in the normal range, not even prediabetic.
It can seem daunting for many I have read about - for me it was easy.
I now eat just twice a day, two proper meals with meat or fish shellfish eggs and or cheese, lots of salads or low carb veges, and I really do not miss potatoes, though from time to time I make seed crackers or some other alternative.
To bulk up baking I use psyllium husk and I got some which turns purple when heated - which is rather novel but it is just what it does.
I got an icecream maker so I can make the real stuff but without sugar. Waistlines seem to respond quite spectacularly to low carb - the first time I realized I'd lost weight was when pushing a trolley around a supermarket and I realized my trousers were sliding down....
I have needed to get all new clothes twice now, in 19 months.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Hi - I’m a newbie too and trying to find my way.
When it comes to breakfast I’ve settled on a couple of options both making a little bit of sweetness go a long way:
i) Porridge with a spoon of cinnamon or a grate of nutmeg and some berries- the cinnamon/ nutmeg gives a fake sweetness and lifts the blandness.
ii) Two eggs (scrambled or boiled) with a small teaspoon of chilli jam and extra piri piri for a kick.
Both are filling and give a little sweetness- maybe not perfect from a low carb perspective but got me rolling in right direction.
Hopefully I’ll expand my repertoire a bit but I’m only a few weeks in.
Good luck - lots for us both to learn

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I’m a newbie too and trying to find my way.
When it comes to breakfast I’ve settled on a couple of options both making a little bit of sweetness go a long way:
i) Porridge with a spoon of cinnamon or a grate of nutmeg and some berries- the cinnamon/ nutmeg gives a fake sweetness and lifts the blandness.
ii) Two eggs (scrambled or boiled) with a small teaspoon of chilli jam and extra piri piri for a kick.
Both are filling and give a little sweetness- maybe not perfect from a low carb perspective but got me rolling in right direction.
Hopefully I’ll expand my repertoire a bit but I’m only a few weeks in.
Good luck - lots for us both to learn
If you can eat oats without spiking you are one of the lucky ones - they spike me terribly.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
If you can eat oats without spiking you are one of the lucky ones - they spike me terribly.
I'm one of the lucky ones I suppose. I have oats 2 to 4 times a week. They must be traditional rolled oats. The ones that take about 20 to 30 mins to cook. 40g of Lowan brand is 17g of low GI carbs. The instant type oats are awful. Might as well eat a jar of honey.
Have fun.

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey up johnjo, I was diagnosed 6 months ago with an HbA1c of 58, I have cut out cereals and occasionally have porridge oats, only a small portion tho. I have cut out bread with the exception of Hovis low carb but limit myself to one slice. More veg and less potatoes too. I had a sweet tooth but have cut out all biscuits too, I’ll occasionally have an Atkins diet bar with a cuppa and I satisfy my sugar cravings with Harley’s 10 cal jellies. Oh and cut down on lager and beer, apart from that nothings changed lol oh and my HbA1c is about 38 good luck

Bigjohnjo

Me being me - typical Aries character apparently even though I don't believe a word of it - I went low carb from the moment I was diagnosed and ordered a whole lamb from the butcher on the way home.
80 days later I was no longer in the diabetic range for Hba1c, six months later in the normal range, not even prediabetic.
It can seem daunting for many I have read about - for me it was easy.
I now eat just twice a day, two proper meals with meat or fish shellfish eggs and or cheese, lots of salads or low carb veges, and I really do not miss potatoes, though from time to time I make seed crackers or some other alternative.
To bulk up baking I use psyllium husk and I got some which turns purple when heated - which is rather novel but it is just what it does.
I got an icecream maker so I can make the real stuff but without sugar. Waistlines seem to respond quite spectacularly to low carb - the first time I realized I'd lost weight was when pushing a trolley around a supermarket and I realized my trousers were sliding down....
I have needed to get all new clothes twice now, in 19 months.

That’s an amazing story. Well done you. I could do with some of your recipe ideas. Thank you.

Reactions: Prem51

Bigjohnjo

Hey up johnjo, I was diagnosed 6 months ago with an HbA1c of 58, I have cut out cereals and occasionally have porridge oats, only a small portion tho. I have cut out bread with the exception of Hovis low carb but limit myself to one slice. More veg and less potatoes too. I had a sweet tooth but have cut out all biscuits too, I’ll occasionally have an Atkins diet bar with a cuppa and I satisfy my sugar cravings with Harley’s 10 cal jellies. Oh and cut down on lager and beer, apart from that nothings changed lol oh and my HbA1c is about 38 good luck

Thanks pal.