Dating With T1d And An Insulin Pump

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
His loss what a shallow individual and lets be honest you are much better off without him. Never seen a pump before and your photo it looks pretty discreet. If I had been the guy I would be more interested finding out more about the pump and how diabetes affects your life.

And sending you a text, that is shocking

Hope all goes well with your future dating, never be ashamed of your pump or diabetes

Reactions: sophc

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I heard the fridge open, where the milk and my syringes and insulin bottles were , then the fridge slam shut, the door open and her footsteps storm down stairs............

Some people really don't like full fat milk do they Kev.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @sophc,
Cool picture of you.
Just watch out for the plastic tubing, it has a mind of its own and will find things to be tangled and hooked around !! I have lost a needle port site on several occasions or later found a site leaking after a tug or two.
Another trap was when I bumped the pump whilst lifting something and several hours later found the pump not working. What I had done was to damage the cap holding in the battery and the battery was no longer powering the pump. Of course all the alarms on the pump work via the battery so no alarm sounds for this!
I learnt not to be a cheapskate and to change the battery cap every 6 months!!

Continued Best Wishes.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I'd have to cast my mind back some 30 odd years to see what my reaction would have been. Admittedly, similar but I don't think it is due to shallowness. I put it down to a lack of understanding and education. Fear of the unknown can be a powerful deterrent for our actions. Before I knew about this condition I had only heard the horror stories and none of the good ones. If it's any consolation, you look **** fine to me.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Some have been okay, but one moron who sticks in my mind, asked 'Is that why you aren't sexually active '?? then asked 'is that because of HIV and Aids...........

Geez, if high levels of ignorance were as harmful to physical health as high BG levels are, so many people would be a lot worse of than diabetic people are! :banghead::banghead:

MrBen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all ,

I am hoping someone can offer some advice on dating and being a T1D and on an insulin pump. Being single and trying to find someone nowadays seems challenging enough but being on a pump just seems to have added to it the challenges.

I’ve been diabetic for almost 26 years and since April I have been on the 640g insulin pump, and only wish I had done it sooner. I’ve been single about a year after a long relationship, and I have thrown myself back into the dating world.

I went on a date last weekend and so naturally the guy saw my pump clipped on my belt and asked what it was. I explained it was a pump for my diabetes and I had a small cannula in which continuously dripped in small amounts of insulin and was of huge benefit to my health. He did pull a few odd faces but thought nothing more of it. About 20 minutes later , I started to feel hypo and so I checked my blood sugars in front of him and I was 3.5 so treated it with a few sips of coke.

When I got home he text me to say he had a nice evening, but because I was diabetic facing needles, blood and with the pump it was too much for him and he didn’t want to see me again. This is the first date I’ve been on with it so was wondering if anyone else had experienced this before? It’s knocked my confidence massively and it’s given me a bit of anxiety and worry about going on future dates in case I hypo in front of them and having to explain about my pump.

Any tips or your own experiences on how to approach this would be great.

Thank you all
Nice people would not say such horrible things. Type one is part of you - but it does not define you. Personally I think it makes you a bit more interesting. When you find the "right one" he will want to be with YOU and all of you. Normal people never really understand, but some will try harder than others. I am type one for 38 yrs. My girlfriend doesn't really understand, but she tries really hard. She likes insulin smell, and she spots the signs v quickly on the rare occasions I dont.
When I was dating I always had a slight apprehension about revealing I was type one. Always made sure I did it straight awayish. And usually made more conversation.
I have shared a blood test on most of the 1st dates. Good way to weed out any needlephobics!
When you have a date with someone who you fit with, they will accept you for all of you.
I know the feeling of being nervous about bringing it up. But I also know once I have things are fine. If the date is right they will ask you lots of questions. You then have a chance to talk about something that is constant in your life. Diabetes neither defines nor controls you. But it is there always, sticking it's little head out whenever it can.
You will find the reaction of your date will be a really good indicator of the quality of your date.
The simplicity is that a nice guy will want to talk about it and show interest.
Good luck with your next date.
Ben

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've told the story before about a long time ago a girl I was sweet on coming to my flat, offering to make brews (a long time back before political correctness so her tea making skills needed checking out :p ) I heard the fridge open, where the milk and my syringes and insulin bottles were , then the fridge slam shut, the door open and her footsteps storm down stairs. I'd forgotten to mention I was diabetic,

Hi Kev,

I cordially dated a woman 23 years ago that I'd met thorough a mutual friend.. I had at this time been coy with my diabetes & left it at that.. (She basically had no idea.)
One night after a day hanging out together. I was invited to "stay the night.." Unprepared at this lucky development, I had no basal with me..? I lived 15 minutes away. So I gave my excuses. & said I'd "be right back."
So, grabbing my basal pen.(& picking up some precautionary family planning at a garage along the way.) I knocked at her door nervously, not knowing what next & broke the ice with a wave of my pen, stating "Glargine." Not the best line In seduction... & the object I proudly held aloft on my "quest" may have looked a bit "dodgy.?"

Lol, the look on her face... I was starting to feel she'd wished she never should have opened the door.to me..? :banghead:
I corrected myself, "insulin. I'm a diabetic?" The look of utter relief on her face... :cool:

The rest is history.. She is now my wife! ;):)

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kev,

I cordially dated a woman 23 years ago that I'd met thorough a mutual friend.. I had at this time been coy with my diabetes & left it at that.. (She basically had no idea.)
One night after a day hanging out together. I was invited to "stay the night.." Unprepared at this lucky development, I had no basal with me..? I lived 15 minutes away. So I gave my excuses. & said I'd "be right back."
So, grabbing my basal pen.(& picking up some precautionary family planning at a garage along the way.) I knocked at her door nervously, not knowing what next & broke the ice with a wave of my pen, stating "Glargine." Not the best line In seduction... & the object I proudly held aloft on my "quest" may have looked a bit "dodgy.?"

Lol, the look on her face... I was starting to feel she'd wished she never should have opened the door.to me..? :banghead:
I corrected myself, "insulin. I'm a diabetic?" The look of utter relief on her face... :cool:

Awesome story!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi Kev,

One moral of the story: Be Prepared !!

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@sophc I don't have a pump but am on MDI which means on every first date I've always injected. Most people are curious and interested to find out about diabetes, many will tell you about their grandparents or aunts and uncles and a rare few will have the same reaction as that guy! I agree with everyone else - it's a good way to weed out people who aren't going to get it or will make a big deal about it. I was once on a first date (blind date) and starting going hypo really quickly. I was in a new city so had to ask my date to guide me to the nearest shop, and help me choose some treatment (I get SO indecisive when hypo!). His first question was what would happen if he didn't help, I explained and he said it sounded like it could be funny, until I got to the hospitalisation and coma section where he literally dragged me at a half sprint to tescos. This poor boy had no idea about diabetes but I was so impressed that he was willing to help and eager to 'get it right'. I also have a diabetic friend who was 1.5 hours late for a second date because she had hypoed on her way home, an ambulance was called, and when she came round she got the paramedics to text him because she didn't have the coordination for it! I think they are still together a few years on - he didn't mind but was quite worried. It just adds another dimension to the dating game!!

Reactions: kitedoc and sophc

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Hi all ,

I am hoping someone can offer some advice on dating and being a T1D and on an insulin pump. Being single and trying to find someone nowadays seems challenging enough but being on a pump just seems to have added to it the challenges.

I’ve been diabetic for almost 26 years and since April I have been on the 640g insulin pump, and only wish I had done it sooner. I’ve been single about a year after a long relationship, and I have thrown myself back into the dating world.

I went on a date last weekend and so naturally the guy saw my pump clipped on my belt and asked what it was. I explained it was a pump for my diabetes and I had a small cannula in which continuously dripped in small amounts of insulin and was of huge benefit to my health. He did pull a few odd faces but thought nothing more of it. About 20 minutes later , I started to feel hypo and so I checked my blood sugars in front of him and I was 3.5 so treated it with a few sips of coke.

When I got home he text me to say he had a nice evening, but because I was diabetic facing needles, blood and with the pump it was too much for him and he didn’t want to see me again. This is the first date I’ve been on with it so was wondering if anyone else had experienced this before? It’s knocked my confidence massively and it’s given me a bit of anxiety and worry about going on future dates in case I hypo in front of them and having to explain about my pump.

Any tips or your own experiences on how to approach this would be great.

Thank you all
@sophc I have never had an insulin pump if people judge you for having diabetes and being on an insulin pump they can go do one. If a guy likes your he won’t care about you having an insulin pump or that you’re diabetic he will love you for you. Good luck

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been trying to re enter the dating game, but it’s hard but I have a 640G pump and I’m proud of it, the only problem is sometimes I get the tube caught. I used to be ashamed and embarrassed about my t1, now I’m open, honest and proud. You have no issues, it’s other people that have them. You sound like a great person. Enjoy.

Reactions: kev-w

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am not a pump user but that guy is a jerk!! Clearly a big old wimp lol. Don't let it put you off, there are lots of wonderfully understanding people out there! I've luckily never faced thst, more the curiosity but I hope that you find someone special to share the 'highs and lows' with!