At what point do you notice you are hypo?

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have some times when I notice I feel odd - take my readings and find I am 3.8 and other times- if I am dashing around sorting out my son or at work and I might not notice until I am 3.3 say. Is this normal or should I notice as soon as I fall below 4. Incidentally I have yet to drop lower than 3.1.

I only ask because I have read about hypo unawareness and was worried that I am not always noticing as soon I drop below 4.

I have also noticed that going to the gym first thing (ie 7am) does not affect me in the moring ~(in fact it makes my figures go up) but I often drop to near hypo by about 4 - is this delayed response to exercise normal?

Thanks heaps

Louise

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
From what I've read and from living with my type 1 husband for nearly 40 years, it's the process of dropping you feel, not the actual level. Certainly my husband functions normally at 2.5 The higher you usually run, the higher the point at which the hypo sensation begins. Of course if you are distracted, you don't notice so fast. It's like the potty trained toddler, who wets his pants, because he's absorbed in playing and doesn't notice he needs to "go".
What are your fasting numbers? If they are a little high, it's not unusual for exercise to push them up.
mid to late afternoon is the time many people, including non-diabetics, run out of fuel. that would be a good time to have a snack.

Nellie

I have also noticed that going to the gym first thing (ie 7am) does not affect me in the moring ~(in fact it makes my figures go up) but I often drop to near hypo by about 4 - is this delayed response to exercise normal?

Yes, very normal, the exercise often makes people far more insulin sensitive and therefore don't need as much insulin. Reducing your lunchtime insulin may help avoid going to low or if necessary have a cup of tea and a cookie or a piece of fruit mid afternoon(my docs preferred option)
broad intros to insulin and exercise http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/results.php?storyarticle=5482
http://people.umass.edu/braunlab/exercise.htm

donnamum

If my daughter is sat watching tv she won't know she is hypo until bg has dropped to about 2.4 (very worring) other times she will know when it gets to about 4.1. She gets trembling in hands at about 2.8 and pins and needles at about 3.8. Other times she won't get any syptoms, but I have started to notice she has a strange look about her (cant describe it) I will ask her to check and she is hypo.

Everyone is different. A friends child will get very load when hypo.

Sorry if thats not much help. Good Luck.

Graham55

Hi,
Think i must be one of the lucky ones, I get a hunger felling thats like a kick in the guts, it realy hurts, only last a second or two and when I test and I`m 3.8 - 4.2.
T2 Since last September 2007

DiabetiesChild

i no im hypo because i feel faint, shaky and my vision goes all weird. i then test and its usually between 3.0 and 1.0. the lowest i had was when my bs went to 1.2 and i fell down the stairs. not good.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Diabeteschild, I have said before you are wonderful, but please if you feel hypo, sit down. Falling down stairs could lead to awful consequences. keep some glucose tabs or luozade by you.

Marz Barr

I uaually notice at adout 3.8 but if i am at work they can drop really low and very quickley and one day i had 4 hypo,s in one day it happens because of the heat.
Wendie

nathansdiary

Dislikes
Non diabetics who think they know better and people who keep asking me "are you allowed to eat that?"
I am quite lucky as I normally get quite good warnings altough mine tend to kick in at about 5. I do occasionally get no warning symptoms and those are the ones I hate as it all suddenly kicks in and leaves me feeling very very panicky. It happened to me in tesco the other day, i just checked out of curiosity and I was at 3.1. I had my lucozade on me but it was a really nasty one, my other half had wandered off to get something and i really began to panic that I couldn't find him. I had all the usual symptoms but they tend to hit me alot harder as I am currently suffering with M.E. The worst one is disorientation, I get that really bad.

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your replies, they were very helpful. It is good to see I am normal (well type 1 normal!)

Cheers!

Louise

lionrampant

Anything below 4 and I notice immediately. If I'm dropping from a higher fasting or post-meal of say 7 or 8, I'll notice well in advance.