Am Moving Back To Uk. Can Insulin Pump Supplies Be Shipped To Uk From Us Manufacturer/distributor

D

Deleted Account

Pump decisions seem to be at the discretion of your local diabetes team who will be funding the pump and supplies.
For example, different regions have different guidelines for qualifying for a pump and the options available vary per region (my choice in Medtronic or MDI).

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are not going to be 'insured' by the National Health service, there are private doctors and clinics that can organise access to pumps and supplies.Otherwise if you have a pres ription already then contact your pump company before travelling.eg https://londondiabetes.com
If like me you are returning from elsewhere to NHS care be aware it will take time. Make sure that you have plenty of supplies .See a GP quickly and get referred to a hospital consultant by a GP (choose that hospital carefully; use input for guidance as to pump friendly hospitals)http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/pump-clinics/
Even doing this, It has taken me over six months to see the consultant (initial appointment cancelled by the hospital and rebooked two months later ) Inputs advice on three to 4 months supplies would have been insufficient. When I saw a the
consultant he was great and agreed that I should continue with pump .
I am sure that if helped that I was able to explain why I originally went on it; in my case difficulty in preventing hypos during exercise [check out the conditions that pumps are prescribed in the NHS] I also took long term records and on the week of the appointment I used a Libre to show daily variation.
This appointment was in the middle of June . The consultant said that I should go to the next DSN 'pump start' clinic to choose new pump etc (I am using an out of guarentee one) This DSN appointment was supposed to be prior to the July departmental meeting when he could recommend application for pump funding .It is now July 1st and as yet no appointment has materialised. I intend to ring tomorrow
I was lucky in that I probably had over a years supply of reservoirs and cannulas(garned by slight monthly overprescription over a period of 11 years plus a friendly pump nurse who gave me quite a lot when I moved back to the UK from France.

Last edited: