Keto and Dawn Phenomenon!

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just re- read all of this and realize it is still pretty much the same! Except that now I have dropped gliclazide completely. However, I am waking with BG of 10 - 13mml! I have OMAD about 6-7pm, keeping below 20g carbs, but I am still waking 4 -5 am with (I guess) a liver dump. My readings 2 hours after dinner are fine and throughout the day. So this is going to make my average Hb1Ac go up, isn't it! Doctor won't like that!! I don't want to take the glic anymore as I was getting hypos at work.

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just started doing keto with intermittent fasting so I'm monitoring my blood sugars in this situation as well. One thing I've noticed so far compared to my previous diet of high carb, low fat, high protein is that my blood sugar wanted to sit around 8-11 mmol/L (without exercise) after I broke my fast. Tomorrow morning will be my first morning after starting keto so I'm curious to see what happens and share it with you guys!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people call it a 'liver dump' and my understanding is that your BG goes low so your liver goes 'eek, have some sugar!!' and it makes your numbers go up; you can have sweats as someone mentioned, shivers, headache or just wake (wide awake)! I am doing this at 3.00 - 4.00 am and not able to go back to sleep!

Actually I would suggest taking some virgin coconut oil...before you sleep...

Some may consider this as mambo jumbo...But the rationale is simply this...

Yes you may be dropping too low around 3-4 am and the brain screams for actions to pump up the glucose...but essentially it is because it doesn't have adequate fuel, either ketones or glucose. Have you checked your ketones levels when you wake? VCO are slow release and stays much longer in the system then MCT. So a couple of spoonfuls may be enough to keep the brain happy...

I do experience waking with pounding heart after carb heavy dinner...

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Actually I would suggest taking some virgin coconut oil...before you sleep...

Some may consider this as mambo jumbo...But the rationale is simply this...

Yes you may be dropping too low around 3-4 am and the brain screams for actions to pump up the glucose...but essentially it is because it doesn't have adequate fuel, either ketones or glucose. Have you checked your ketones levels when you wake? VCO are slow release and stays much longer in the system then MCT. So a couple of spoonfuls may be enough to keep the brain happy...

I do experience waking with pounding heart after carb heavy dinner...

Thanks - I will give it a try!