Levemir Split Doses

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just curious : For those who split levemir doses are your doses the same. I have 12 units at 6am and 4 units at 6pm.

Reactions: kitedoc

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
3 at 10ish PM and 15 at 10ish AM, times will vary a bit depending on what I happen to be doing(i.e in a meeting or something) but that's how I do it and it works pretty well.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I split it 6 about 8 am, 8 at about 8 pm. The higher evening dose is intended to head off the dawn phenomenon as the higher dose should be peaking around about 3 or 4 am.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My split dose
7.5 units in the morning (7am)
6.5 in the evening (7pm)

I tend to increase my morning dose on non-working days, as I am less active.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone for your replies. I was just curious as when I started back on injections it was 7 and 7. But I found I was going too high through the day and lower at night. Probably need to do some daytime fasting basal testing to be totally sure.

Last edited:

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your replies. I was just curious as when I started back on injections it was 7 and 7. But I found I was going to high through the day and lower at night. Probably need to do some daytime fasting basal testing to be totally sure.

That's interesting. Some people seem to need more during the day, and less at night, and others are the other way round.

Just shows we're all different.

Reactions: Sharrryn

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I rarely change my levemir dose just the novorapid around it.....
I’m not saying that’s right it’s just what I do....

Tony

Reactions: Struma

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I split Levemir 11u at 9.30am and 14u at 9.30pm as @Tony337 above, not necessarily perfect, but works ok for me, and infinitely better than I've ever known before. I'm much happier correcting with fast acting than trying to work out background changes as they don't seem to work until the day after.

Reactions: kitedoc and Tony337

Peterinkiel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I split Levemir 11u at 9.30am and 14u at 9.30pm as @Tony337 above, not necessarily perfect, but works ok for me, and infinitely better than I've ever known before. I'm much happier correcting with fast acting than trying to work out background changes as they don't seem to work until the day after.
Yes, everyone is different. I take two doses per day, 16 units at the pre-breakfast injection and normally 16 units at bedtime. The evening dose is taken most days, but it can be reduced to 14 units if my BG level to s below 120 at bedtime. Sorry, we don’t use mail here in Germany.
My levels are corrected during the da with Novo Rapid in small doses of between 8 and 12 units, but the reaction time is slow (up to 2 hours).

All good wishes to Levemir users

KateMeg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I rarely change my levemir dose just the novorapid around it.....
I’m not saying that’s right it’s just what I do....

Tony
I would but I don't want to be waking up at night all the time to give corrections or doing multiple corrections throughout the day, prefer to just stick in the Levemir and hope for the best!

Reactions: kitedoc

Peterinkiel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would but I don't want to be waking up at night all the time to give corrections or doing multiple corrections throughout the day, prefer to just stick in the Levemir and hope for the best!

I think you really should be a little more careful using just Levemir as this article s a casal Insulin with longer term effects and it is designed to be used in conjunction with a rapid insulin to compensate for the changing BG levels during the 24 hour cycle which are a normal function of the digestive process. In short, you should expect differing BG levels during the day, normally shortly after a meal. You can then compensate with a smaller dose of rapid insulin, dosed according to your BG level at the time of testing. Remember that rapid insulin is NOT function nstantaneous insulin and it works over a period of time, so do not overcompensate. Use small doses of around 8 to 10 units at the most.. Test again about one hour of your rapid i jection to avoid a hypo.

I use a CGM monitoring device to follow my BG levels on a permanent basis and find it a godsend. No more hypos and very few hypers. I understand these devices are expensive in the UK, but you may be able to persuade your doabetologist to prescribe one free of charge, Remember that the cost of hospital treatment is far, far greater to the NHS than a CGM system. Here we n Germany the only nsurance companies have worked that out and act accordingly.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on a uneven split also, cant remember the precise doses now, but they totalled about 70 units all in......

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just curious : For those who split levemir doses are your doses the same. I have 12 units at 6am and 4 units at 6pm.
Nope, but that's the beauty of splitting it - you can have different doses for day and night to meet your needs. It's why I think it is a better solution than a basal like Tresiba where you are stuck with 1 dose for over 24 hours that can't be adjusted.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
It’s also useful at the moment (warm nights) are lowering my overnight Levemir needs considerably without affecting my daytime Levemir.

Ps I use FreeStyle Libre to monitor my glucose, so can see that my glucose has been flat overnight.

(I know heat affects people in different ways.)

Peterinkiel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 27 units in the am and 25 units roughly 12 hours later
Good afternoon and welcoming me to this forum on Levemir dosage.

Perhaps you could read my earlier post on this subject, saying everyone is different.

What you say gives us all very little information about yourself and your treatment. Could you let us have more nformation concerning for example any other insulin you take, as the Levemir is a basal insulin which works in the background to keep your BG (blood glucose) levels under control at a fairly fixed level if your dosage is correct. But it should not be sed alone, even if used twice a day. The fluctuations in your BG levels after mealtimes are then taken care of by using small dosages of rapid insulin (the dosage should be small to avoid possible risks of a hypo) this is best judged by experimentation using different dosages and then measuring your BG level at say 80 minutes after your rapid insulin injection to measure the effect of your dosage. It may help to keep a written record of your dosage and the BG levels so you can discuss this with your diabetologist or medical practitioner.

To complete your profile and thus allow other forum contributors to offer assistance and advice, perhaps you could give readers some information about you carbohydrate consumption, the number and timings of your daily mealtimes, an indication of whether or not your weight is steady and any unusual changes in your lifestyle. You will understand that the complexities of treating type 1 diabetes make it necessary to have the full picture and not just the dosage of one type of insulin.

I really do hope this little note will help you, but if anything is unclear please do reply to this post and I will arrempt to give you a clearer explanation.

With greetings from a diabetic patient in his seventies having lived with diabetes for nearly 70 years.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I was starting to panic a little when I read how little Levemir some of the earlier posters were taking. I take 21 units on getting up typically around 7 am followed by 27 units at bedtime typically 10pm