A Separate Thread For Type 2 - Diet Only

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
When I posted my thoughts about a seperate forum for diet only type 2's it was not meant as a criticism of those who take medication. I am not competetive either I am pleased that others have managed to get their BG's down to a healthy level. When I read a post that says ' I did such and such and then I am now in a healthy range' I think what am i doing wrong, why isn't it working for me. As a newly diagnosed person I read most of the posts to try and pick up information, hints and to see if i can apply it to my life. I have stuck to less than 800 calories and on most days less than 10 gms of carbs and certainly no more than 30 on odd occassions. I have lost 3 stones since April 1st this year and yet my bg's are still erratic and in the 7's and 8's. At the moment I have to weed through the posts to see who is doing it the same way I am and i just simply thought that if there was an option to just read posts from diet only that would make life easier for those who follow that option. Some of the replies seemed a little hostile to me and so i think it is best if I don't put forward any more radical ideas.
it sounds like we are following the same protocol, 800 cals, and extremely low carb. Week 4 for me as from today, I haven't lost any weight yet. How soon did you see the scale move? I know people say its not about the scale, but my body hasn't changed either.

artdecomum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it sounds like we are following the same protocol, 800 cals, and extremely low carb. Week 4 for me as from today, I haven't lost any weight yet. How soon did you see the scale move? I know people say its not about the scale, but my body hasn't changed either.
Hi Dawn, I guess that weightloss is all down to what weight you are when you start and if you have been dieting before starting the very low cal and carb. I had a great deal of weight to lose and sticking to the 6-800 cals and less than 10 carbs daily resulted in the first month (i only weigh on the 1st of the month) weight loss of 21 pounds, second month was 12 pounds as was the third month. I have a great deal of trouble with standing up for more than a minute or two so exercise was not an option. I have an automated pedal machine which means i can at least move my legs even though it takes little effort. Are you weighing and measuring everything that goes in your mouth? Guessing portion sizes does not work! I progressed from weighed green veg to no veg at all and am just eating lots of chicken and meat ( no more than 100grammes of any) and eggs and 30 grammes of cheese perday. I also drink 3-4 litres of water (sparkling) and nothing else. If you want any more info. please ask. Only to happy to help.

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good one @dawnmc. Very useful thread. Thanks for initiating. Don’t worry about any unfavourable comments. As they say, ‘horses for courses’

I was diagnosed T2 in Jan. Because my A1C was only 51, I went for a diet only regime - which resulted in my losing 2 stone and getting my A1C down to 44 in 3 months.

My diet is not as rigorous as yours: 1,500 cals when I was losing weight and 2k now when maintaining at 70kg.

Recently though, I’ve added some additional activities. This is because, about 6 weeks ago, I noticed that my FBG was creeping up to the high 6s and, occasionally, as far as the low 7s. Overall 7-day and 30-day averages had gone up from 6 to 6.4-5. Nothing in my diet had changed to account for this trend.

So I posted a question and some of our helpful fellow travellers came up with useful explanations (e.g. hot weather can cause elevated BG readings) and tips, such as attempting intermittent fasting “to give my pancreas a rest”.

So I started skipping breakfast and that has definitely steadied things and I believe has played a contributing factor to the downward trend in my FBG over the past 10 days or so.

But the most dramatic impact has been as a result of beginning an exercise regime. And the reason for bringing exercise into the equation is because I came across a thread where one of the contributors argued that exercise is critical.

I was sceptical but decided to give it a go. So, at the age of 67, I committed myself to a brisk 2 mile walk every morning. I’ve managed this for a week now. On the basis of measuring my FBG prior to the walk, commencing the walk and then measuring again upon completion of the walk, my BG levels drop anywhere from between 0.5-1.0. For me, that is dramatic because, previously, my FBG could continue to rise for a couple of hours before beginning to come down.

So all in all, for me, it’s been the combination of diet + intermittent fasting + exercise which seems to be proving most beneficial.

Which brings me to the following question @dawmc : is this thread strictly diet or can we also discuss other approaches EXCEPT meds? . I’m quite happy to keep things focused solely on diet if you so wish.

Keep on truckin’.

John

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well I can't take the credit for starting this thread. I do need to do a bit more exercise I think.

Reactions: johnrubinstein