Type 1 Has My Diabetes Disappeared?

Gibbo1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes back in January. I have been on insulin ever since. I went on holiday to Vietnam 3 weeks ago where I reduced my dose as I was instructed to do so by my nurse. I was expecting to have to increase the dose again when I got back but I kept it low and reduced it even further to just one unit. Last Thursday I thought I would try not giving my self any insulin at all and monitor my levels. It’s now been 4 days since I last took insulin and my levels in that time have been the same as a non diabetic.

I’ve not been told that this could happen. From what I gather there is no reversing type 1 diabetes. Here are some theories I have:

I still have diabetes and insulin till on my honeymoon period however my pancreas has just got better for a certain length of time but ultimately it will fail.

I have been misdiagnosed and I was actually a type 2 diabetic. I never had any conclusive tests to say I was a type 1 diabetic however based on my age (22), weight, lifestyle etc they said i was 99% a type 1 diabetic.

I am type 1 and my body has cured it by itself and I am no longer a diabetic.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of anything similar.

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are cases where a patient requires insulin for a period after diagnosis but then goes into what is called the “honeymoon phase”.
Ask them for the antibody tests for type one and hopefully you will get a definitive answer!