Eggs

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i seem to have a noticeable morning bg surge. Breakfast is usually eggs in some form or yoghurt with flax mix (cant think of much else) or a fast til lunch. It’s definitely a trend that egg breakfast actually lowers bg after 2hrs whereas the other two it continues to rise or stay the same. Is this common? Is there a reason that explains this?

Reactions: Freema

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
i seem to have a noticeable morning bg surge. Breakfast is usually eggs in some form or yoghurt with flax mix (cant think of much else) or a fast til lunch. It’s definitely a trend that egg breakfast actually lowers bg after 2hrs whereas the other two it continues to rise or stay the same. Is this common? Is there a reason that explains this?
Hi
If I've understood you correctly
You want your blood sugar to drop after eating eggs

I think the process of insulin production begins immediately after eating some carbohydrates and the eggs is almost does not contain carbohydrates

Eggs contain a high proportion of proteins and this needs a long time to digest

Reactions: Freema and porl69

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @HSSS,
If I have interpreted your query correctly you are wondering why a breakfast of eggs only causes no BSL rise vs the occurrence of BSL rises with yoghurt or flaxmix taken separately.
I have not seen any direct data but assume that cooked eggs, containing no carbohydrate, could cause a flattish form of BSL rise in ? 3 hours or more (but not 2 hours) due to conversion of some protein to glucose. See optimisingnutrition.com glucogenesis
However, nutritional data from various internet sources quote yoghurt as containing perhaps 4 to 10 g of carbs per 100 g.
One would assume that such carbohydrate as lactose in yoghurt could raise BSL at the 2 hour mark.
Flaxmix contains 48.5 g per 100ml which again I assume would raise BSLs more sharply than protein.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
This my charts may can help you
1524269369678.jpg

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You seem to have been recently DX'ed T2, so I am assuming you are in the early days of LC keto diet. On that assumption it may be what is known as Dawn Phenomenon or DP still boosting your bgl in the mornings or after a fast. This will generally occur in the early days of an LC diet where the liver senses a drop in bg that is lower than it was used to, so gives a kick in the pants to restore the old(er) levels back to what it was used to. It takes a while to reset the thermostat so to speak, and meanwhile you should be depleting the fat stored in the liver and other adipose fat stores through keto. This would be what I would expect at this stage, but we all react differently so it is only a suggestion as to what may be going on. The eggs, being mainly protein will affect bgl through neoglucogenesis, but that is a slow process and probably why the levels drop, whereas yoghurt has carbs that will act quicker to bump the bgl. The flax is mainly fibre, so is probably not to blame, but may prolong the digestion process enough to make bumps visible for slightly longer than usual.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
WOW, thanks for all the answers. Such a wealth of knowledge. I obviously wasn’t very clear. I am have a drop after eggs, rather than trying to get one.

My yoghurt is fage 5% which is 3g carbs per 100g, the flax is Linwoods it’s almonds Brazil’s walnuts and ceq10 and is 5.6g per 100g so not carb free but not as bad as many similar products.

I’m a month into low carb which in truth has been keto (wee sticks show a mid range colour consistently) since pretty much the start. Carbs are between 30 and 50g a day. I lost weight the first few weeks but it’s not really moved in nearly a fortnight. Not sure I’m drinking enough/hormones. Again a week or two ago I was seeing a lower trend in bg generally but this week it’s back up and no diet changes. It’s all a little confusing and a lot to take in. I’ve done loads of reading but the reality is a bit more hit and miss than the articles make it sound.

Yes dawn phenomenon is what I was thinking but couldn’t remember the term. Good to hear that given time it should improve. It sounds like I need to stick to eggs for now.

Reactions: Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The lentils would be misleading, with a drop at two hrs which is when I understand I should be testing then a definite rise after that. Atm I’m not eating any pulses but good to know.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @HSSS,
If I have interpreted your query correctly you are wondering why a breakfast of eggs only causes no BSL rise vs the occurrence of BSL rises with yoghurt or flaxmix taken separately.
I have not seen any direct data but assume that cooked eggs, containing no carbohydrate, could cause a flattish form of BSL rise in ? 3 hours or more (but not 2 hours) due to conversion of some protein to glucose. See optimisingnutrition.com glucogenesis
However, nutritional data from various internet sources quote yoghurt as containing perhaps 4 to 10 g of carbs per 100 g.
One would assume that such carbohydrate as lactose in yoghurt could raise BSL at the 2 hour mark.
Flaxmix contains 48.5 g per 100ml which again I assume would raise BSLs more sharply than protein.
Not sure where your figures for flax comes from, but flax seed on its own is only about 1.5% by weight, Flax mix may have carbs in it depending on what other seeds are in it, such as chia, sunflower, millet etc but still considered suitable for a keto diet.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WOW, thanks for all the answers. Such a wealth of knowledge. I obviously wasn’t very clear. I am have a drop after eggs, rather than trying to get one.

My yoghurt is fage 5% which is 3g carbs per 100g, the flax is Linwoods it’s almonds Brazil’s walnuts and ceq10 and is 5.6g per 100g so not carb free but not as bad as many similar products.

I’m a month into low carb which in truth has been keto (wee sticks show a mid range colour consistently) since pretty much the start. Carbs are between 30 and 50g a day. I lost weight the first few weeks but it’s not really moved in nearly a fortnight. Not sure I’m drinking enough/hormones. Again a week or two ago I was seeing a lower trend in bg generally but this week it’s back up and no diet changes. It’s all a little confusing and a lot to take in. I’ve done loads of reading but the reality is a bit more hit and miss than the articles make it sound.

Yes dawn phenomenon is what I was thinking but couldn’t remember the term. Good to hear that given time it should improve. It sounds like I need to stick to eggs for now.
https://www.nutracheck.co.uk/Calori...ds,+Brazil+Nuts,+Walnuts+&+Co-Enzyme+Q10+360g
They do another flax mix that is lower carb. Think it will be the brazils and walnuts to blame. Choice is yours, and 5.6% isn't bad and is much better than Alpen for keto and taste.

Reactions: HSSS

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
If I've understood you correctly
You want your blood sugar to drop after eating eggs

I think the process of insulin production begins immediately after eating some carbohydrates and the eggs is almost does not contain carbohydrates

Eggs contain a high proportion of proteins and this needs a long time to digest
I am insulin resistant (Diet controlled)and i'm on low carb high fat but sometimes eat zero carbs....i never was told that if i don't eat any carbs i won't make insulin!!! that can't be good if my insulin isn't being used properly as it is can it?

Sent from my LG-H525n using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am insulin resistant (Diet controlled)and i'm on low carb high fat but sometimes eat zero carbs....i never was told that if i don't eat any carbs i won't make insulin!!! that can't be good if my insulin isn't being used properly as it is can it?

Hi Julie

Unless we are type 1 diabetics, who don't produce their own insulin, all the rest of us produce insulin all the time. It happens automatically, and it is usually in small amounts. The purpose is so that our bodies can keep our blood glucose steady. Think of it as a kind of background insulin release.

Then, when we eat carbs, our body releases some extra insulin to deal with the carbs. When its job is done, the body just goes back to its steady low level insulin release.

When we are insulin resistant (as most T2 diabetics are), it means that our bodies have to release more insulin to do the same jobs.

Hope that helps. :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Julie27318

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If protein raises blood sugars why r we being advised to eat it?
Because protein is essential for life - it's what builds, mends and maintains our bodies, so you need to eat enough for your body to be able to do this.

It's high carbohyrate foods that you need to avoid, they're what raise your glucose levels the most, and unlike protein they're not absolutely essential - you can replace them with fats for fuel/energy. As I understand it, protein isn't really an issue unless you are T1, or T2 using insulin, and then you may need to bolus for it as well as for any carbs you eat.

Robbity

Reactions: Julie27318

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Acarbose (Glycobay) Tablets 50mg three times daily with meals at the first swallowing is designed to reduce blood glucose spike following any meal.

It is a prescription only medicine, so discuss with your diabetic doctor or GP about the benefits. Initially, flatus is a problem but it clears after a few weeks as your system adjusts to Acarbose.

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Acarbose (Glycobay) Tablets 50mg three times daily with meals at the first swallowing is designed to reduce blood glucose spike following any meal.

It is a prescription only medicine, so discuss with your diabetic doctor or GP about the benefits. Initially, flatus is a problem but it clears after a few weeks as your system adjusts to Acarbose.
I'm not on any Medication just diet controlled

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Everybody do produce a little insulin all the time but all carbs can spike it and do can protein to a lesser content

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So how nuch protein should u eat a day? I'm T2 Insulin resistant

Every one need around 0.8 grams of protein pro every kg of lean body mass this means if your ideal body weight is like 58 kg , you would need around 58- 68 grams of protein daily , and a bit more of you body build

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that @Freema - you've saved me having to double check that figure before posting!

Robbity