Liraglutide/Victoza

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Grahamkh - Hi and Welcome to the Forum :). Wish you good results with the Victoza.
Will tag @daisy1 who will provide you with some basic information that all new members receive, have a good read of it and ask any questions.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Grahamkh - Hi and Welcome to the Forum :). Wish you good results with the Victoza.
Will tag @daisy1 who will provide you with some basic information that all new members receive, have a good read of it and ask any questions.
@Grahamkh Hello and welcome to the forum. Here in my signature is a link to the basic information we give to new members, mentioned above, and a link to the Low Carb Program which you might like to try. Ask questions when you need to and someone will help.

Grahamkh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Alcohol
Hi, thank you both for the welcome. I will endeavour to look out for all the help I can get to manage my diabetes better. Thanks again. Best wishes to all.

Reactions: Liam1955

Grahamkh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Alcohol
Started on the Victoza yesterday Mon 21/11/16, so 2 x injections. I am now having stomach pain, not severe but uncomfortable. Just wondered if anyone on Victoza had suffered similar pains and if it is a matter of my getting used to the medication.
Thank you in anticipation of any replies.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Grahamkh - The stomach pain I would keep a check on and if you experience vomiting whilst using Victoza? You will need to go see your GP straight away.

Grahamkh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Alcohol
Liam1955. Thank you for your reply. I realise it's early days yet. I do keep feeling slightly nauseous on a occasion as I was informed. Didn't expect the stomach ache and there was no mention of this from HCP. I will be getting a phone call from my GP in a few days as a follow up. If I am still experiencing symptoms then I will mention this.
Kind regards Graham

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Grahamkh - Some people get side effects from a New Drug, but the side effects usually go after a few days. But, You only began using Victoza 2 days ago. So you may find the Nauseous feeling and Stomach Pains could ease with each day? (Hope so).
I used Victoza for 6 months a few years ago and never suffered any side effects, in fact it just never worked on me!
Maybe you could tell the Forum a little more? How long you have had Diabetes? What your last HBA1C was? Do you take other Diabetic Medications?
(If you want to 'tag' someone you place a @ in front of their Avatar name and it will go red when you post, this will alert the member) Liam1955.

Grahamkh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Alcohol
@Liam1955 - I have had type 2 for 15 years. Managed for the first few years by diet alone. Then as my blood readings/Hba1c started to rise I was prescribed Metformin then perindropril. Then Gliclazide and Sitagliptin. Unfortunately 3 years ago I had bowel cancer, entailed major surgery and after the operation I contracted a post operation infection which took the best part of a year in hospital to make good but only after further major surgery. The intravenous antibiotics given at the time wrecked my kidneys. So in order to help them recover I was taken off my diabetes medications. The metformin and parindropil was not re-prescribed. So just Gliclazide and Sitagliptin. Now as my Hba1c is 74, the Sitagliptin as been stoped and Victoza started. I am pleased to say that the stomach ache I experienced yesterday as gone and my blood sugar levels have dropped considerably and I am only on the starting dose of 0.6 mg. Next week if all goes ok it will be increased to 1.2 mg. I hope I have not prattled on too long but that is my story so far.
Regards to all Graham

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Grahamkh - Thanks Graham :) for telling us on the Forum a bit more about yourself. I was diagnosed with Type 2 in the year 2000 and have been on Gliclazide, SR Metformin, Sitagliptin, Victoza and 2 years ago I went onto using Insulin and I take 4 x 500mg Metformin daily too.
You didn't mention if you were on a particular diet for your Diabetes? Or if you use a blood sugar meter to test your blood sugars each day?
Don't be afraid to ask questions as we are all friendly and You will find that we offer help and support to each other. Have a read around the various threads on the Forum.
Liam1955:)

Last edited:

Grahamkh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Alcohol
@Liam1955 - Thanks. I am new to forum sites and not sure of were and what to post. Regarding diet I have not followed a strict diet for the condition until now. At my last check a couple of weeks ago it was discovered that my Hba1c was traveling in the wrong direction (high) i am about to be more careful with diet, but my HCP as not put me on a strict diet just the Victoza. I do now check my blood sugar daily but was advised to only check if not feeling too good. Trembles, sweating the classic signs of low sugar. Only this evening before dinner I felt a bit weirded and checked to find a reading of 4.0 which is an amazing drop from mainly double figures of the last few weeks/months.
I will indeed no doubt be asking questions in the future and keep you all posted with my progress.
Thanks again Graham

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Grahamkh - Hi Graham - If you go to the top of this page and click on the word FORUMS, it will take you to the list of thread titles. Just scroll down and click on to open any that you find of interest. If you feel you want to post on the thread - please do. And should you wish to answer and/or post your comment/opinion then please do.
A lot of Forum Members follow the LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat) here is the link for you to take a look at: (just click on it)
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
Blood Glucose Range for Type 2 are:
before Meals. 4. - 7
2 hours after meals. 4 - 9
Look forward to reading your postings on how you are getting on.
Liam1955 :)

Grahamkh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Alcohol
@Liam1955 - Thanks for the information, I will look on the forums and at the diet information. Then maybe I will find my way around and learn about the DCUK Forum.
Graham.

Kes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on exenatide same type of daily short term GLP1 injection.
GLP1 affects the Vegas nerve and for me caused me to retain food for 3 days.. before it was a healthy 14hrs.
Worked great initially for the meal you injected it.. easy to inject with a pen but after a while I started to resent it..
as I felt bloated and started feeling very tired after taking the injection. It made me lose out /waste time.
After 3 months I stopped, but the bloated slow digestion didn't ..
went thru a whole year of complaining and nearly daily enemas before I got some thing to restart my gastric function/peristaltic wave. And then got shingles due to that drug. Doh.
that was nearly 3 years ago.. Have an appointment with GI department in October.. :-?

I personally think daily GLP1 is short sighted solution which interferes with a vital nerve the Vegas nerve.
It is your second brain with as many neurons as a cat's brain. It controls your peristaltic wave (stomach/throat/gut intestines), influences your heart, ghrelin production (satiety) and another hormone to make you hungry. It is also the interface between your brain and your gut flora using proteins, hormones etc.
The Vegas nerve is an important nerve you shouldn't mess with.
That's why motilium now needs a prescription.

If you are thinking of GLP1, I'd go for the weekly injections as they have an overall effect with long lasting GLP1 and lowering blood sugar for all meals. Lot harder to ge a GP to give tho. Not many get it.

Interesting fact.. GLP1 has been found to be produced by gut bacteria in the first part of the intestines.

I am trying to do the 600kcal diet.. after using Farxiga for long time.
People mention losing your appetite.. I think that this is not due to GLP1 but a natural reflex when you eat less and drink more.
You just have to get past a couple of days and you start not to crave as much.

How many people taking daily GLP1 are constipated have longer gastric function, feel tired after injecting & eating, difficulty swallowing?
In the end I felt I was being water boarded drinking from a water bottle.