Diabetics in underdeveloped countries?

DeafDiabetic

I think most of us in Europe, USA, Australasia and so on take for granted the health services that we currently have even if they're not always perfect.

Just wondering today about the less fortunate diabetics in poor, underdeveloped countries. How on earth do they cope? I'd hate the thought of needing insulin or other required medication and being unable to obtain them - does'nt bear thinking about really :cry:

ZACNEMMA

Here here. I equally often spend more than a moment thinking about the plight of type 1's before Banting and Bests discovery of insulin.

bos5

God love them and protect them, I dont even know if I believe the line I have just said but we can always hope

sinmm

This is a very important question (thought). In poor countries, diabetics die many years upfront without even knowing they had diabetes. My aunt (my sister's mother) had her leg amputated in August last year just a few months after it was "discovered" that she had diabetes.

My Uncle (my father's younger brother) died of diabetes complications in 2008. Had I known what I know today about diabetes, I think he could still be alive today. My own mother is type2, has HBP and advanced arthritis. We're trying our best to provide the necessary medication and care. Thank God her situation was "discovered" much earlier.

The truth of the matter is that hundreds if not hundreds of thousands in poor countries die from this condition without ever knowing they had it. No healthcare, no medication, no information, and, as the Americans would say, no nothing. That it the truth about diabetics in developing (poor) countries.

Thanks copepod for the IDDT link.