Lantus unit = novorapid unit?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't like feeding my insulin. I like to eat and take insulin to my food.

Lantus is not SUPPOSED to work on food but it does in a very inconsistent way. Nothing predictable. I would find your basal and then take your bolus depending on what food your eating if that's ok with your doctor.

Blue_Star

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I do know about the use of the 2 types of insulin etc etc. I just want to ask about the Maths.

Does 1 unit of lantus and 1 unit of novorapid bring down the same amount of bg?
I was trying to find out the same answer as you. But I think the basal rate (Lantus) is mainly used to keep bs steady at a certain range especially fasting around 80-130 mg/dl .
I read in one diabetes book "that it is not the job of short acting insulin to help decrease blood sugar at night especially before bed" so I guess it's the JOB of short acting insulin( Novorapid) to keep sugar levels in range during the day (food, snacks, exercise and illness). Lantus/Levemir is the background insulin. So if you increase ur Lantus ur going to be reducing ur fasting sugar levels which u shouldn't if ur fasting levels are within 80-130. I'd suggest u consult ur doctor on this.

Doug88

Here's to clarify: doc gave me 6 lantus and 15 novorapid a day. That was keeping my weight constant.

However, I was quite uncomfortable at 6 L and gradually increased it to 10 L.

I find that if I keep on eating enough to for 15 novorapid in total a day, my weight is increasing steadily.

Therefore, I am considering reducing my novorapid by 4, and eating less.

Just wondering if 4 l = 4 n.

Sorry i keep asking because so far all the answers I got are info in know and the question I am asking is still not getting answered.
Hey,

I was actually really interested in finding the same answer to your question, which it doesn't seem like we've got to here...right?

I'll add my example to the string and see if it might help elicit some answer:

Lets say I'm normally on 10 Lantus and at breakfast normally take 10 Novorapid...but...today I want to drop my Lantus by 30% because I'm going to be doing a lot of exercise and I know that on "alot-of-excerise" days I stay steady on 7 Lantus...but....I'm not starting excerise until after lunch (normally inject lantus in the morning).

The question is: for breakfast should I actually add on that missing Lantus to my normal 10 units of Novorapid making it up to 13?