bob2025

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes - may it burn in hell !!!
Pointless clock change back to GMT - too dark
Politicians and other petty administrators
Been diagnosed T2 for a little over 3 years. I finger tested early on and got the T2 under control. 6 month check up was mid 50s. My (Now Ex) Doctor said not to bother testing. Had another test in Nov 2017 shot up to 86.
Still not testing so I treated myself to a £150 Freestyle Libre monitor. When I checked after my first meal my reading was 20 mmol.Lowest I can get, when sleeping is 9. Note that when I relaxed (just the once) mmol was 7. Average last week 13 mmol: This week 12 mmol.
I do a lot of HIIT training and I can see my blood sugar shot up to 12-16 mmol.
I’m burning an average of 3,000 kCals per day. I’ve no idea what’s going on seeing my new Doc next week for the blood test. I know it’ll be another massive number. Not sure why to do -when I excercise (which is often) blood sugar goes up, when I’m not stressed (which is never) blood sugar goes down.
Do I have a secondary condition? I’m desperate to get T2 under control again.

Reactions: Freema

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To maintain the calorie burn can I ask what you are eating and if you have modified your diet in response to your diagnosis?
A number of people on this forum have reduced the amount of carbohydrates in favour of fats and protein and seen a good response in their BGs.
Blood sugar going up when exercising is the bodies response to have glucose available to convert to ATP to keep your energy supply topped up.
Wish you well.

leahkian

Stress sends blood high and the doctor will always to avoid stress which is hard with diabetes. If this is causing you to worry speak to who ever is looking after your diabetes and tell them that you have been testing your BS on a machine which you bought at your own expense and that you would like a blood test that gives you a average reading of the last three months and keep a diary of all the blood tests you have done and time and date them

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bob2025,

Yes, stress and exercise will raise blood sugar levels -- but in my own experience the impact is less than 2 mmol. I second @hankjam that diet is way more important in lowering your average blood sugar levels. What do you generally eat in a typical day?

Reactions: hankjam and Freema

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been diagnosed T2 for a little over 3 years. I finger tested early on and got the T2 under control. 6 month check up was mid 50s. My (Now Ex) Doctor said not to bother testing. Had another test in Nov 2017 shot up to 86.
Still not testing so I treated myself to a £150 Freestyle Libre monitor. When I checked after my first meal my reading was 20 mmol.Lowest I can get, when sleeping is 9. Note that when I relaxed (just the once) mmol was 7. Average last week 13 mmol: This week 12 mmol.
I do a lot of HIIT training and I can see my blood sugar shot up to 12-16 mmol.
I’m burning an average of 3,000 kCals per day. I’ve no idea what’s going on seeing my new Doc next week for the blood test. I know it’ll be another massive number. Not sure why to do -when I excercise (which is often) blood sugar goes up, when I’m not stressed (which is never) blood sugar goes down.
Do I have a secondary condition? I’m desperate to get T2 under control again.

Hi Bob,

Can I doublecheck something?
Your profile says you are on Metformin,
but under your profile picture beside each post, it says that you are an insulin dependent T2
And you have created this thread in the 3c section (which is a subtype of diabetes with v specific issues).
:)

Could you just confirm which of those is most accurate?

Don’t worry, we can help you change any innaccuracies in your profile, and move the thread, if necessary, but it would help everyone if you let us know your true situation - because you will get better targeted responses. :)

Reactions: Freema and ziggy_w

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Just be aware that the freestyle libre can occasionally be very inaccurate. I wouldn't want to base any drastic decisions on it without doing a few blood tests to corroborate the results.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you count the level of carbs you eat in a day , type 2 sufferers usually cant eat more than 150 grams or less in total in a day no matter What kind of carbs, by the way never stop testing People do lose control then

Reactions: amber22 and Seewalk

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had stress hormones raise my BG by more than 10 MMOL, albeit in a particular situation that put me out of my comfort zone to say the least.