Blurred Vision As Glucose Levels Decrease

FunkyMark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I am a newly diagnosed diabetic and learnt of my condition after being admitted to hospital after glucose levels were in tested in excess of 30mmol/L and drinking 6L per day. I feel the NHS has done an awesome job in the last two weeks in setting a plan to get my levels down to a manageable level, through tests, insulin and positively transforming my diet with levels currently hovering between 6-11mmol/L so am going in the right direction.

The major issue and concerns is that for the past four days my short vision has suddenly become seriously blurred, long distance seems fine. I had an eyetest yesterday and have been told eye condition is good and was relieved to hear that my eyes are not screwed but appears that both eyes have suddenly changed prescription from 0 to +1.25 so why I can not see anything up close (reading, mobile phone, PC as all blurred).

I've accounted for this by getting a pair of reading glasses so can see again, however having never worn glasses before I am concerned of:
a) potential damage I am doing/done to myself,
b) any timescales of when this will resolve and my eyesight return to normal.
c) anything that could help, like taking Aspirin?
d) do I need to get in front of a consultant at the hospital?

All the website resources I can see online, tend to refer to similar symptoms happening through a sudden increase in glucose levels causing symptoms, not through glucose levels dropping as I've described above.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mark

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Mine did the same. At diagnosis I got prescribed insulin, so blood glucose went down really fast and, hey presto, blurred vision. It took about a week to stabilize (at a new prescription), the optician wouldn't test for a new prescription until my sugars had been stable for a month. The consultant was uninterested and said, yeah, it happens.

It is probable that this low glucose level eyesight is your new normal, and it has previously been hidden by the high bg.
It might be an idea to talk to an ophthalmologist (the ones who do the retinopathy screening), even if only to reassure yourself there is no lasting damage. Alas, other than keeping a nice low and stable bg, there is nothing you can do to change diabetic eye damage.

Reactions: Rdan

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Excess glucose causes the lens to swell shortening the focal length. It happened to me too. It took a few weeks to get back to where it started.

Dark Horse

This is a common problem (a search of the forums will reveal a large number of threads on the same topic). Glucose levels affect the focal length of the lens and when there is a sudden improvement in diabetic control, it can take a few weeks for eyesight to stabilise. In the mean time, continue using ready-readers and don't worry about it.

However, make sure you attend your eye screening which should be offered within 3 months of diagnosis.This assesses if there any significant changes in the retina due to diabetes. The test can use a pinhole eye test if your vision is still blurred due to the effects of changing glucose levels on the lens.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with the above and like to add that you can just use your new reading glasses without doing damage while you wait for your eyes to settle again. After all, you have to be able to read the small print on the back of food now :)

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here. Doc told me not to get retested as it would all settle down. It has and back to same prescription.

snowmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had it too. best advice I got was not to worry and not to go buy new glasses until it settles. it is a good sign in some ways....

Reactions: Flora123

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm suffering from the same thing now. Near distance is pretty weird but long distance is better, although a little worse today than yesterday. Slightly scared that I have done some permanent damage with bad control.

Reactions: Peter1702

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My eyesight is still blurry reading close up, 4 and a half months after diagnosis.
I did bring my blood sugar levels quickly, within 3 weeks of diagnosis, according to my BG meter.
Sometimes I do wonder if this was too quick, as I read somewhere on this forum that bringing it down too quickly can cause permanent damage. I hope that is not the case, but as @Seacrow says, maybe this is my normal and the high glucose was masking it.