Research Explores Impact Of Red Blood Cell Damage In Type 2 Diabetes

DCUK NewsBot

Researchers in Sweden have investigated how red blood cells change in type 2 diabetes and how this affects the risk of cardiovascular complications. The underlying causes of cardiovascular complications in people with diabetes are partly known but research is uncovering new findings each year. The latest study suggests that in type 2 diabetes red blood cells suffer damage which causes them to release harmful substances. In a more upbeat discovery, the Karolinska Institutet research team also identified a treatment that inhibited abnormal blood cell function. They hypothesise that the treatment could be developed to potentially prevent harmful cardiovascular effects in humans with type 2 diabetes. The researchers looked at two studies focusing on red blood cells in people and mice with type 2 diabetes, and explored whether they contributed to poor cardiovascular outcomes. They observed that red blood cells carrying oxygen to tissues were more likely to stick to the vessel wall in people with type 2 diabetes compared to those without the condition. Previous research has also indicated that sugary blood (glycated blood) presents a greater risk of heart problems occurring. Professor John Pernow, who worked on both studies, stated that within the mouse study: "We found that healthy blood vessels exposed to red blood cells from patients with type 2 diabetes suffer damage to their innermost cell layers, the endothelial cells. "This phenomenon, which is called endothelial dysfunction, appears early on in the development of diabetes-related vessel injury and greatly reduces the ability of the vessels to dilate while aggravating the inflammation." The study team discovered that these harmful effects were linked to elevated activity of the enzyme arginase, which increased the formation of harmful oxygen-derived free radicals in the blood vessels. Prof Pernow explained that his team may have discovered a way to counter these effects. He said: "We also found that treatment that targeted arginase or oxygen-derived free radicals normalised red blood cell function, which meant that their harmful effect on cardiovascular function could be prevented. "Our hope is that this knowledge will give rise to new treatments, specifically targeted at red blood cells that prevent vascular injury and protect the heart in the event of heart attack in patients with type 2 diabetes." One of the research papers was published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology and the other was featured in the JACC: Basic to Translational Science journal.

Continue reading...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know I've never been anaemic til recently and due to doing a cheap/economical attempt at low carb.
I must add liver and beef to my veggies everyday to keep in boarder of not anemia levels in blood tests.

Ive only been tested for iron anemia since applying for bariatric surgery or been ill enough with chest pains and took to a&e.
Never been tested before.

Maybe diabetics should be regularly tested for iron anemia in their yearly blood tests? Or have I always been in the 15yrs of having diabetes but it's never been a problem? First pregnancy I was given iron supplements for I think a week or so (12yrs ago) . I didn't need any seperate supplements for 2nd pregnancy as I was given pregnacare supplements at beginning of pregnancy after folic acid so I'm guessing iron in those.

No periods now so I'm keeping my iron, it seems?
If I am menopausal then it's the quickest menopause I've known off. (approximately a year).

Yes I think diabetics should have a higher iron level expectation on these yearly tests compared to none diabetics.
That would help.

Happyhomelands

Funny that you said about a quick menopause. I had the same experience, but I'd say more like 2 months... hubbie wouldn't agree, he says I've been moody. I wonder if low carb advances the menopause.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Funny that you said about a quick menopause. I had the same experience, but I'd say more like 2 months... hubbie wouldn't agree, he says I've been moody. I wonder if low carb advances the menopause.
Low bgs makes me very low in mood. Lower bgs are guaranteed on low carb.
Its best you monitor to keep an account of your lower bgs.
Periods stop if not enough iron, for some. Other reasons cause no periods. Health bods believe my weight has stopped my periods. I know its because I'm no longer able to tolerate metformin. I'm still trying to discover my IBS triggers too. Metformin isn't helping me when conflicting IBS symptoms. I'm having to take more insulin in metformin's absence. Hence no weight loss.