Moved From Metformin To Jardiance - How Well Does It Work For Others?

Amyj30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I’m type 2 (only diagnosed around 4/5 months ago). I’ve done well on the diet front and lost a really good amount of weight so all positive there. I was on metformin twice a day but due to side effects I had to stop taking it. My GP has now put me on 10mg Jardiance moving up to 25mg after 4 weeks. I’m told I should experience less side effects in these tablets? I’m wondering if others found this to be much better than metformin?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
That's an interesting question. With an NHS indicative price for Jardiance of £36.59 for 28 tablets, as opposed to £0.72 for 28 Metformin tablets, I wonder how many GPs would prescribe it? I did have severe problems with side effects when first prescribed 20 years ago, but not a problem now I'm on a low carb diet. I'm interested because I have doubts of how effective Metformin is for me at the moment, my morning readings after not eating for 12 hours are sometime ridiculous.

The list of common side effects is quite long (https://www.rxlist.com/jardiance-side-effects-drug-center.htm), but the most common Metformin side effect doesn't seem to be one of them.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on Jardiance some weeks ago and so far I have not had any adverse side effects. On the other hand my DN said that she might take me off them again if she does not see them having any effect. By this I mean that my blood sugars have been rising recently and the Jardiance was prescribed to combat this. It hasn't, so according to her there is no point taking them.

The only adverse side effect she mentioned was a possible fungal infection since the drug stops the kidneys from re-absorbing sugar and so the sugar leaves in the urine. This leaves you prone to a fungal infection.

Reactions: Amyj30

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I’m type 2 (only diagnosed around 4/5 months ago). I’ve done well on the diet front and lost a really good amount of weight so all positive there. I was on metformin twice a day but due to side effects I had to stop taking it. My GP has now put me on 10mg Jardiance moving up to 25mg after 4 weeks. I’m told I should experience less side effects in these tablets? I’m wondering if others found this to be much better than metformin?

Hi there Amy. Do you test your blood sugars at home?

I'm interested you have lost some weight. Were you trying to do that, as part of your diabetes management, or did it "just happen along the way"?

As you have been diagnosed a few months, did your GP retest your bloods (HbA1c) prior to changing your meds, or if not just before changing your meds, how recently was the A1c retested?

Some T2 folks find as their weight reduces their body's ability to handle some sugars improves a bit. Some are even able to come off meds, over time.

I haven't ever taken either of the meds you mentions, so have no personal experience to offer you there.

Amyj30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there Amy. Do you test your blood sugars at home?

I'm interested you have lost some weight. Were you trying to do that, as part of your diabetes management, or did it "just happen along the way"?

As you have been diagnosed a few months, did your GP retest your bloods (HbA1c) prior to changing your meds, or if not just before changing your meds, how recently was the A1c retested?

Some T2 folks find as their weight reduces their body's ability to handle some sugars improves a bit. Some are even able to come off meds, over time.

I haven't ever taken either of the meds you mentions, so have no personal experience to offer you there.

Hi,

Yes I had it checked and it had come down from 88 to around 70. That was while I was on metformin. I’ve only recently started Jardiance but I test my blood sugars at home and so far so good. I did it this morning before I ate and it was 6.9 so I’m pleased with that. I’m on 25mg if Jardiance now. I’ve lost 5% of my body weight so far and that is partly down to medication and partly down to me changing my diet. I have cut out all the nice things and stick to savoury now so by doing that it’s definitely helped. It’s a long process and it’s something I will have to keep working on obviously. I’m due to have another blood test in November but my GP was pleased with the last results as it has improved and I’ve lost weight. I’d like to think at some point I may be able to stop the medication if I continue the way I am doing but it’s not going to happen over night.