owensy10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being ill
Hi,
I have found myself facing a dismissal hearing in work as I have had three absences over the past 12 months. I do feel that two of these were due to my diabetes and the other was a typical doctor diagnosis of a "viral infection".
Work have only put in place that I can had extra personal time, but no increases in the Bradford Factor that is used to determine sickness trigger points for absence.
I have worked at other companies before and they have been accommodating and taken in to consideration my diabetes.
I would say that my diabetes does not normally affect me, but does anyone know if there is any guidance for this please?
I have been passed to an occupation health company and I will be speaking with them on 5 September.

Thank you in advance,
Paul

D

Deleted Account

Take a look at Diabetes UK.
They have an advocacy pack for employment discrimination and diabetes... and a helpline.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I have found myself facing a dismissal hearing in work as I have had three absences over the past 12 months. I do feel that two of these were due to my diabetes and the other was a typical doctor diagnosis of a "viral infection".
Work have only put in place that I can had extra personal time, but no increases in the Bradford Factor that is used to determine sickness trigger points for absence.
I have worked at other companies before and they have been accommodating and taken in to consideration my diabetes.
I would say that my diabetes does not normally affect me, but does anyone know if there is any guidance for this please?
I have been passed to an occupation health company and I will be speaking with them on 5 September.

Thank you in advance,
Paul

Owensy10 - I'm sorry you seem to e in a bit of an uncomfortable corner with your employer. The quality of the replies will depend on a few things, including how you menage your diabetes - diet, tablets, or insulin and what the absences were for, and their duration. On that basis, it would be useful if you updated your profile. You can do that in your account settings, in your browser. Alternatively you could state it here (although updating your account, means the information is there for anyone to see, for any posts you make.

Reactions: kitedoc

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Thank you in advance,
Paul
You may well find that occupational health are on your side and will support you. Colleagues and me were packed off to see them years ago as we were stamping our feet re shift and hours changes. They were 100% on our side and gave short shrift to the company.

owensy10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being ill
Thank you for your replies. I have updated my profile but it is as follows, Type 2. 2000mg of slow release Metformin and Jardiance. Also on Ramipril for high blood pressure and Simvastatin for cholesterol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes is a long term disability in as much that it has an effect on your day to day life (and will do for more than 12 months) - as such it is covered by the Equalities Act (which has taken over from the Disability Discrimination Act) and your employers should recognise it as such.
c

owensy10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being ill
Hi Paul, what specifically were those other two absences for?
Hi, I was off in October with a viral infection , April I had issues with my blood sugars and general tiredness and August was profusely sweating and tiredness. Still not found out what caused it, but I had blood test and all ok apart from low MVC but had this retested a few days later and came back ok. I feel this was diabetes related.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was off in October with a viral infection , April I had issues with my blood sugars and general tiredness and August was profusely sweating and tiredness. Still not found out what caused it, but I had blood test and all ok apart from low MVC but had this retested a few days later and came back ok. I feel this was diabetes related.

Hello again Owensy. How long were your absences?

When you had your high blood sugars, leading to fatigue, why were your blood sugars high? Bearing in mind the excellent weather we have had this year, what was the temperature outside when you were having your sweating?

Is this the first time you have been required such an OH meeting?

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
Not sure if this has been asked but did you company know you were diabetic when they employed you? This can make a big difference to things. Also I would get legal advice, if you were off work because of diabetes and can get a doctors letter to prove it then there shouldn't be anything they can do. That's my understanding of the law. But get some legal advice.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for replying. Did you have a return to work interview and was this written up properly?, ie did they write down that YOU thought it was diabetes related or did they record it as something else and did you have a sick note (if so what did it say)? It is very difficult to prove that illnesses such as this are directly related to diabetes but if anybody is sick from work, my advice would be to get a Dr's note specifically saying/heavily implying that it IS diabetes related. I do get that employers cannot put down every cough/cold/flu/tiredness down to diabetes just on a person's say so but if your Doctor has the evidence of high glucose levels/low glucose levels/abnormal blood tests at the time of the illness, they would be hard pushed not to include it under the disability act.

Reactions: kitedoc and simonr1

owensy10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being ill
Hello again Owensy. How long were your absences?

When you had your high blood sugars, leading to fatigue, why were your blood sugars high? Bearing in mind the excellent weather we have had this year, what was the temperature outside when you were having your sweating?

Is this the first time you have been required such an OH meeting?
Hi, During the hot weather I was fine, but I had a week off work and although it was hot, I was sweating far more that normal and even when sitting down I was literally drowning. My bloods went from low teens to high teens and also I developed thrush. I returned to work and advised them what was happening and I thought that the air con would help. It did for a few days but I was still having sweats in bed and this was causing me not to sleep. I sought advice, as I knew that if I was off again it could lead to dismissal and was told that if I could not do the bear minimum then I should go home. I was in work for another week and I found that after a couple of hours in work, I could not do the minimum as I felt tired and confused. I went home and saw a doctor the same day.
Outside temps were only in the low 20s and at night between 8 and 14 degrees.

owensy10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being ill
Thanks for replying. Did you have a return to work interview and was this written up properly?, ie did they write down that YOU thought it was diabetes related or did they record it as something else and did you have a sick note (if so what did it say)? It is very difficult to prove that illnesses such as this are directly related to diabetes but if anybody is sick from work, my advice would be to get a Dr's note specifically saying/heavily implying that it IS diabetes related. I do get that employers cannot put down every cough/cold/flu/tiredness down to diabetes just on a person's say so but if your Doctor has the evidence of high glucose levels/low glucose levels/abnormal blood tests at the time of the illness, they would be hard pushed not to include it under the disability act.
Any doctors notes I have had have just put tiredness or one/two word descriptions. When I had by issue in April I was told to stop taking Metformin by the Doctor and to do a blood test and see the nurse a week later. I had the bloods done and they showed high blood sugar, but also the nurse said that the doctor should not have told me to stop the Metformin (I was also on Gliclazide and I had also stopped this). I was told that she wanted to put me on to a new medicine, but would need to get the doctor to agree to this. I was told to go home and return in a couple of days when the prescription was ready. I returned and go the meds, and after a couple of weeks there was no change so I went back the the nurse and was told that the medication I was put on was not the one that she recommended and had not made any difference. She went and spoke to a doctor and returned with Jardiance and said that this was the one she wanted me to take. I have been on this ever since and my bloods have been between 7 and 11 since. I have felt fine and I have even lost 2 and a half stone and gone from a 38 to 24 waist. All has been ok until the beginning of August when my blood rose, but not by a great deal

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Not sure if this helps but .. In Australia a employer does not have the right to ask you what caused your sickness/days off.
My doctor would never put a reason for sickness down in a sickness certificate., only that I was suffering 'from a medical condition' (which covers a multitude of possibilities). If hypothetically I was suffering from a sexually transmitted disease, does anyone outside of my doctor have the right to know ?? There are privacy laws here. Of course privacy does not apply when the doctor considers the illness/injury etc is work-related.
Of course the doctor may not be able to offer a definitive diagnosis beyond say 'viral illness' and again what business is it of the the bosses to know that.? Can they legally demand you explain? Are they exceeding their authority (= bullying)?
And the problem with diabetes is that a viral illness is likely to send up the BSLS as a secondary effect. Yes you may need longer time off work to get the BSLs settled than if it was just the viral illness to recover from. But I would guess that that is where discrimination could be argued if need be. Also in some companies they allow a certain number of sick days per year without a medical certificate but we are only talking about say, 4 days per year.
I recall a discussion with some nurses back in the day (1980s) where the matron required that the nurses put down a diagnosis of illness on their sick leave forms (with no legal standing for the matron to make such a demand). Most of the largely female nurse population would put down 'orchitis' (inflammation of the testicles) as their illness. I hope the matron got the message !!
So legal advice about UK privacy laws may also important plus whether you received any orientation/paperwork when you started work as to your rights and responsibilities. Very occasionally, employees require that all illness/injuries occasioning sick leave are divulged. You would have had to specifically agree and sign such an agreement. But that would be unusual. at least here in Australia.
Sometimes it may be a day or more before being able to get to see a doctor for a sickness certificate. (either because of delay in obtaining an appointment or because it was physically impossible to get to the surgery without major embarrassment (nuff said).
I found some wonderful wording for such a situation, wording like this or similar:
"From information received from the patient, which I believe is true (or consistent with my subsequent findings), the patient was unwell for X days(dates) prior to this consultation, Today --/--/-- , he/she has a medical condition which renders him/her unfit for work from date Y to date Z inclusive". It is helpful of course if wording like this meets the approval of say, the GMC.
In my somewhat limited experience I have yet to find an employer who has quibbled about not including the X days before medical certificate in the sick leave payment.
Also a doctor might be able to provide a medical certificate for a time when you consulted him/her, but thought you could battle on at work but had to take time off. My routine in this case was to ring the surgery, explain the situation to the receptionist and see whether the doctor could supply a medical certificate based on the prior visit. or needed to see me again.
My Best Wishes to you and I hope commonsense and justice prevail, as they most definitely should.

Reactions: owensy10