Does anyone else think that there is a gap for diabetics aged 14-26

leahkian

I am just in my 40's and found my most difficult time of being a diabetic was through these years. At 14 your body is changing, school exams, people who do not know about diabetes can leave you feeling isolated and peer pressure, this goes on as your life changes i.e getting a job, uni, alcohol. sex. relationships and then every thing that comes with diabetes. These are just a few examples at my diabetes centre your are 18 when you go to the adult diabetic clinic, there are some great doctors out there but why is there know doctor who could take you through theses years? I went through these years when the information on diabetes was not around like it is today. Where i live most people know about my life story and i regular get parents and teenagers coming to ask advice, i am not a doctor but i lives through all of this and now there are drugs and legal highs to cope with. My thoughts are why can we not get 20 people who wants to ask questions about what they should do with a doctor, nurses and 2 diabetics who can help answer their questions. Yes you would have to have a doctor and nurses there for medical issues but also to learn we all need help and you cannot find it in a book, when i was at comp i was the only diabetic in over 12000 students and was a talented footballer but would only be given 20 mins a game because i was a diabetic. This came to a head we were playing in a big game and one of the lads had a cold so i was asked to play, it was the best half of football i ever played i won us a pen and conrolled the game we were winning 1-0 at half time and all of a sudden i was took off. we drew the game and the teacher of the other school came in and named me man of the match. We had to play them the next week, i was named to start but told the teacher i would not be playing for the football team no more after everyone left he asked why i told that. Yes i was a diabetic but i was good enough for the cricket and the sprints for the school but now i felt like he had socially exclude me on a illness he new nothing about and that a letter of complain not only by my parents but my diabetic doctor would be on its way. The school got the letter and the teacher said sorry, i never played for the school again even though i cried and told the doctor how i felt but their were DNS so i got on with it which a lot of diabetics do in other parts of their lives.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am just in my 40's and found my most difficult time of being a diabetic was through these years. At 14 your body is changing, school exams, people who do not know about diabetes can leave you feeling isolated and peer pressure, this goes on as your life changes i.e getting a job, uni, alcohol. sex. relationships and then every thing that comes with diabetes. These are just a few examples at my diabetes centre your are 18 when you go to the adult diabetic clinic, there are some great doctors out there but why is there know doctor who could take you through theses years? I went through these years when the information on diabetes was not around like it is today. Where i live most people know about my life story and i regular get parents and teenagers coming to ask advice, i am not a doctor but i lives through all of this and now there are drugs and legal highs to cope with. My thoughts are why can we not get 20 people who wants to ask questions about what they should do with a doctor, nurses and 2 diabetics who can help answer their questions. Yes you would have to have a doctor and nurses there for medical issues but also to learn we all need help and you cannot find it in a book, when i was at comp i was the only diabetic in over 12000 students and was a talented footballer but would only be given 20 mins a game because i was a diabetic. This came to a head we were playing in a big game and one of the lads had a cold so i was asked to play, it was the best half of football i ever played i won us a pen and conrolled the game we were winning 1-0 at half time and all of a sudden i was took off. we drew the game and the teacher of the other school came in and named me man of the match. We had to play them the next week, i was named to start but told the teacher i would not be playing for the football team no more after everyone left he asked why i told that. Yes i was a diabetic but i was good enough for the cricket and the sprints for the school but now i felt like he had socially exclude me on a illness he new nothing about and that a letter of complain not only by my parents but my diabetic doctor would be on its way. The school got the letter and the teacher said sorry, i never played for the school again even though i cried and told the doctor how i felt but their were DNS so i got on with it which a lot of diabetics do in other parts of their lives.
I can see why you're still hurt about their ill-informed decision. :(
Sometimes life stinks but....... we blunder through.
Ive had a few medical ill-informed decisions but I now look forward and accept. That was the past. Acceptance is the key to progression.
I'm sure some type1s will be along soon to give you soon support.
I wish you luck in your future endeavours and I'm sure you'll fight tooth and nail if something similiar happens again.
What is wrong in that.
That age bracket is a difficult age for everyone. No matter their circumstances. Lots of opportunities and changes.

leahkian

It is not me i was thinking of it is the diabetics now, why is there no service for this age group in a time where the choices they make now can have long lasting effect. I only thought of this as i had a kidney and pancreas transplant but once you leave the hospital there are no help groups. Yes you go back regular for check ups but there is know one to talk to, i am aware that there are not many of these ops done in the UK and nearly all done on diabetics. You can come on here and the kidney forums but wgy can we not help teenagers and young adults. If we could help them now then maybe the risks that comes with diabetes can be delayed and also mental health can be improved. The government are always on about the cost of diabetes well lets try to be pro-active if we catch these young people it may have benefits all round because all i see is people of all ages not getting the help they need which is not their fault. The government are trying their best to make pay for health treatments and diabetics will be the first people they will want to pay for their health care

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
It is not me i was thinking of it is the diabetics now, why is there no service for this age group in a time where the choices they make now can have long lasting effect. I only thought of this as i had a kidney and pancreas transplant but once you leave the hospital there are no help groups. Yes you go back regular for check ups but there is know one to talk to, i am aware that there are not many of these ops done in the UK and nearly all done on diabetics. You can come on here and the kidney forums but wgy can we not help teenagers and young adults. If we could help them now then maybe the risks that comes with diabetes can be delayed and also mental health can be improved. The government are always on about the cost of diabetes well lets try to be pro-active if we catch these young people it may have benefits all round because all i see is people of all ages not getting the help they need which is not their fault. The government are trying their best to make pay for health treatments and diabetics will be the first people they will want to pay for their health care
Greetings from a fellow kidney/pancreas transplantee! I completely agree with you. There are several problems here. At least ten years ago I joined a voluntary media group to talk about experience with Type 1 diabetes. I have heard nothing since. Doctors have asked me if I would object to newly diagnosed teenagers contacting me direct, so that they can talk to someone who has been through all this. Nobody has ever made use of this. Nine years ago I wrote a book about my experience, aimed at putting my experience across to people who might need support. In all the most obvious areas where diabetics are likely to congregate, either in person or on line, it is not possible to do this. I would love to know how we can break these barriers down. I have not yet given up...

Reactions: salis19