Test strips shortage

PDR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Piers Morgan
This eveing I went to collect my next batch of Nexus Gluco Rx test strips from my designated pharmacy (Sainsburys), only to be told that their supplier has had a "manufacturing problem" and it will be "at least two weeks" before they get new stocks. They told me that Tesco use a different supplier, so they may have some. So I went to Tesco and asked if they had any in stock - the pharmacist there just said "give me the prescription - it will be half an hour". After 25 mins he came back out and said "we don't have this in stock, so I'll order it - it will take a couple of weeks". We then had a spirited debate when I asked for my prescription back, and he only finally let go of it when I took a photo of him and told him I'd make sure my wife had his details so she'd know who to sue when I hypo'd and drove into a bridge or similar (not actually likely, but his attitude had really got up my nose!). I then rang two independent pharmacies only to discover they don't have any either. How has this shortage not become more widely known?

I'll be out of strips by CoP tomorrow at my normal 5 a day use rate, so if you don't hear from me check the obituary columns...

PDR

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
This eveing I went to collect my next batch of Nexus Gluco Rx test strips from my designated pharmacy (Sainsburys), only to be told that their supplier has had a "manufacturing problem" and it will be "at least two weeks" before they get new stocks. They told me that Tesco use a different supplier, so they may have some. So I went to Tesco and asked if they had any in stock - the pharmacist there just said "give me the prescription - it will be half an hour". After 25 mins he came back out and said "we don't have this in stock, so I'll order it - it will take a couple of weeks". We then had a spirited debate when I asked for my prescription back, and he only finally let go of it when I took a photo of him and told him I'd make sure my wife had his details so she'd know who to sue when I hypo'd and drove into a bridge or similar (not actually likely, but his attitude had really got up my nose!). I then rang two independent pharmacies only to discover they don't have any either. How has this shortage not become more widely known?

I'll be out of strips by CoP tomorrow at my normal 5 a day use rate, so if you don't hear from me check the obituary columns...

PDR

Backup plan - get a different brand of meter. :)

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
I get my nexus strips from the Dr and fund my own strips (from ebay or amazon) for my contour next one meter.

Never out of strips and I test on average 5 times a day.

Raygower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors
Long-term plan:
Change to your local independent chemist.
Once you become a regular, he'll keep the things in stock and anything else that you have regular need for. Since my mother swapped to the village chemist from Boots, her COPD prescription no longer need three days to fill, and, once or twice, in emergencies, the chemist has released inhalors before the prescription is available.
I also find mine invaluable in avoiding having to see the Quack at all.
And there is that rosy glow of knowing you are helping to keep a local trader open in these troubled times.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you can, buy a meter stocked at one of the pharmacies and buy some strips. Expensive solution, but one I’ve had to resort to.

Reactions: Dodo and kitedoc

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
Long-term plan:
Change to your local independent chemist.
Once you become a regular, he'll keep the things in stock and anything else that you have regular need for. Since my mother swapped to the village chemist from Boots, her COPD prescription no longer need three days to fill, and, once or twice, in emergencies, the chemist has released inhalors before the prescription is available.
I also find mine invaluable in avoiding having to see the Quack at all.
And there is that rosy glow of knowing you are helping to keep a local trader open in these troubled times.
I use a local chemist too. They order a specific brand of meds for me. All the high street chemist's refused to.

Anyway. OP have a chat with your local chemist and build a nice bond. You'll find they do more for you than the big chains and you are keeping a small business running.

Reactions: kitedoc

sahmraw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the time I got my Tee2 meter it was free and came with accessories also. I only paid for the test strips which were competitively priced. I don't want to re-order right now but here's a link for you to look at.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/

It's performance is similar to the SD and the Nexus.

PS. I see it's no longer free but it is still reasonably priced

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, buy the cheapest blood testing meter, and strips you can find, to tide you over. It's not a bad thing to have an alternative meter anyway, they can break, and if you think a reading looks a bit suspect, you can test with the other meter.

So although it's annoying to have to spend the money, it doing that does offer some longer term advantages.

One possible reason for this might be that somewhere a CCG or health area has decided to force all their patients with diabetes to use this type of meter, and the company is having a problem supplying them all. This happened with needles here, the health authority decided to switch to a certain brand of needles, and because demand increased massively there were a few weeks of shortages.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ask your clinic/GP if they have an alternative? They often have sample meters in.
My local indy chemist does not keep stock in, always orders.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

PDR
As you will have to buy a new meter and strips to tide you over until you get the nexus strips via your precription - you could get the nexus strips direct from the nexus site for £12.95 VAT free. They have them in stock. https://www.glucorx.co.uk/shop/glucorx-nexus-test-strips/

Beejeezus

Backup plan #2: Get a small stockpile of strips.

I have around 4 x 100 boxes of Abbot Freedom Lite strips, and 2 x 100 Accu Chek Performa strips at any one time.

Good planning! I know the NHS fund some strips and monitors but surely if there's a shortage, just get another monitor and strips, quite inexpensive online.

The having good a hypo and driving into a bridge is just silly, if you're that hypo unaware you're not supposed to drive anyway, surely?

PDR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Piers Morgan
The having good a hypo and driving into a bridge is just silly, if you're that hypo unaware you're not supposed to drive anyway, surely?

The rule as explained to me by my DN is to do with taking glic. She said that when you've taken a glic you must check your BG before the next time you drive. I've never hypo'd AFAIK, but the DN stressed that I shouldn't rely on this and should always test before driving as long as I'm on glic. Hopefully my recent HbA1c result (37!) will mean I won't be taking glic for much longer, so the point is moot.

The real point about my rant is that test strips are a life-dependant commodity for many people, so I don't believe the system should ever ALLOW there to be a shortage.

PDR

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Seems there are shortages all round with various medical supplies at the moment I wonder what is going on.

D

Deleted member 308541

Or maybe global warming!
Blame Trump for that one. :meh:

Perhaps that's why my Abbot Freestyle Lite strips are not for sale in the US. :D

XKFTS3u.jpg