High blood sugar with Cold

Kitmkat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I rarely suffer from colds but but unfortunately I am suffering one now and am finding my blood sugars unusually high, is this common, I'm still taking insulin even though not eating that much.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having high blood sugars whilst ill is very common, the body dumps a load of glucose and hormones to deal with the illness which in turn increases glucose levels. Just monitor them regularly and adjust as necessary.

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted Account

If you are finding your BGs are high with your cold, you may want to increase your basal slightly to account for it.
Obviously, be careful not to over adjust and do extra testing.
Bring your basal back down to normal when you start feeling better.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I rarely suffer from colds but but unfortunately I am suffering one now and am finding my blood sugars unusually high, is this common, I'm still taking insulin even though not eating that much.

Hi, Kitmkat, I agree with above posts, a few days ago i recovered from something like a cold, but more than that, and although i have had type one for nearly 40 yrs and am used to all sorts of illness i was surprised how difficult this one was, despite numerous tests, blood glucose average was 9.6 over almost two weeks- the worst for a long time, and although i now have to accept more highs in order to avoid hypos, i had about 5. Average overall nsulin increase over about 10 days only 20-25% , but this was very uneven, some days much more needed than others. i felt very ill. Whichever virus you have, test a lot, adjust when confident, and if you are not used to adjusting for illness, take care . best wishes