Heart disease risk is lower in frail people who exercise more, study suggests

DCUK NewsBot

Doing exercise reduces the risk of older people developing frailty and can lead to a longer life, research from Spain has suggested. There have been calls for individualised care to be rolled out for older people with diabetes, who are more at risk of becoming frail. And previously, the benefits of physical activity have been shown to reduce falls and improve walking, balance and muscle strength. Exercise has also shown to be able to improve health for people with type 2 diabetes, heart disease and other health conditions. But until now, research has not explored if exercise has the potential to help older frail people live longer. Researchers from Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain followed 3,896 study participants people aged 60 and older, with information obtained by interviews and physical examinations. They used a scale called FRAIL to measure attributes including tiredness, ability to maintain an effort, walking over several hundred yards, as well as illness and weight loss. Participants were followed up after 14 years and during that period, 1,801 of them had died, representing 46%, with 672 dying due to cardiovascular disease. Those who were classed as pre-frail and frail people had a greater risk of dying from cardiovascular disease, compared with the healthy participants, with any one of the FRAIL scale components associated with a greater risk of mortality. However, the findings also revealed that people who were classed as pre-frail and frail but also exercised, had a lower risk of death. Additionally, the numbers of people who died from cardiovascular disease but were physically active and also frail, were similar to inactive people in the pre-frail category. Frailty is part of the ageing process where multiple body systems gradually lose their in-built reserves and people become weak. The research was published by the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

Continue reading...

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Only genial heart risks would out way that. Fat or thin.
I found.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting, but the research reveals what is intuitively obvious. Hopefully it will help the push towards individualised care for frail older people with diabetes.

But I hope we don't reach a point where nothing is believed to be true unless research exists to prove it, because research can not cover every eventually.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Well, knock me down with a feather. 1 and 1 equals 2 as well

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Interesting, but the research reveals what is intuitively obvious. Hopefully it will help the push towards individualised care for frail older people with diabetes.

But I hope we don't reach a point where nothing is believed to be true unless research exists to prove it, because research can not cover every eventually.
Nor exercise improves every disease. Can it? I know exercise can help many health problems but I'm sure I saw a note saying do not exercise with ketones! Not dietery ketones but the lack of insulin ketones. Mainly for type1s but some type2s too.
You have to be careful when deciding an exercise plan. My MSK helps me with suspected fibromyalgia, diabetes and trapped nerve in my S1 joint.
I totally agree individual care plan for us all, no matter our age..... is needed and to be reassessed every six months to a year.
Those on diet and exercise need alone via GPS but insulin injected reducers via hospital units.

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nor exercise improves every disease. Can it? I know exercise can help many health problems but I'm sure I saw a note saying do not exercise with ketones! Not dietery ketones but the lack of insulin ketones. Mainly for type1s but some type2s too.
You have to be careful when deciding an exercise plan. My MSK helps me with suspected fibromyalgia, diabetes and trapped nerve in my S1 joint.
I totally agree individual care plan for us all, no matter our age..... is needed and to be reassessed every six months to a year.
Those on diet and exercise need alone via GPS but insulin injected reducers via hospital units.

Yes, shouldn't exercise when ketones are too high, but hopefully that is a rare event.

I do agree that people have to do what works for them, and often need support, and advice, on an exercise programme. I also think it's important to enjoy it. Apparently super agers (according to research) don't deliberately chose to exercise, they get exercise through things they enjoy doing.

Reactions: ickihun

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A very serious issue, in the background, at the moment is that fraily isn't necessarily something only the aged, or even more matire population suffer from.

There is quite a lot of work going on in this field, and because of the association, made by so many that "frail = old and weak" that some researchers are trying to find an equally descriptive term, not using the F word.

A link to the NHS Electronic Frailty Index (eFI) can be found here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/clinical-policy/older-people/frailty/frailty-risk-identification/

And an infographic of the Clinical Frailty Scale here: http://geriatricresearch.medicine.dal.ca/pdf/Clinical Faily Scale.pdf

Speaking with researchers some of the numbers are sobering to say the least.

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A very serious issue, in the background, at the moment is that fraily isn't necessarily something only the aged, or even more matire population suffer from.

There is quite a lot of work going on in this field, and because of the association, made by so many that "frail = old and weak" that some researchers are trying to find an equally descriptive term, not using the F word.

A link to the NHS Electronic Frailty Index (eFI) can be found here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/clinical-policy/older-people/frailty/frailty-risk-identification/

And an infographic of the Clinical Frailty Scale here: http://geriatricresearch.medicine.dal.ca/pdf/Clinical Faily Scale.pdf

Speaking with researchers some of the numbers are sobering to say the least.

Interesting. Working age adults with health issues haven't been particularly well treated by the benefits system for some time, so maybe a better understanding of "frailty" or whatever word is used, might improve things.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have taken on board what my last cardiologist said. "Try to exercise more". Then I told him about my back and up-coming Bariatric op. He knew I took on board his professional advice.
It wasn't lose weight but exercise more.
Hoping both will improve to my normal levels or better.
I only relax due to walking pain and swellings.
2019 should see a far healthier body, for me. Walking without all the pain will be a delight.