Type 2 with retinopathy

Natalie09

Hi all, I’ve been lurking on the forums for the last 6 months since I was diagnosed as type 2 aged 32. It came as as shock even though I am overweight (bmi 34) and my dad also has it. Anyway in that time I’m really pleased as my hba1c has gone down from 101 at diagnosis, to 45 at my 6month check 2weeks ago. I’ve lost 2 stone and have embraced the low carb advice I’ve learnt on here so thanks for all of the tips.

However I’ve also now just been diagnosed with proliferative retinopathy and macular odema, I just found out last week that I am going to need laser treatment and the anti vegf injections and I am terrified. I feel sick to the stomach that I’ve caused this myself, that all the changes I’ve made are too little to late, that I could lose my sight, my right eye is already blurry from the odema and if my left eye goes the same I literally won’t be able to read. The thought of losing my driving licence just makes me cry, it would be the end of a job I love, and my independence. I am so upset and I don’t know how to get past this now. I had been so positive with my progress until now and now I just can’t stop crying. Please please can anyone give me some positive advice or reassure me about not losing my licence, I know I need the treatment to save my sight but I can’t believe it’s all escalated so quickly after diagnosis, obviously I must have been undiagnosed for years.

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am similar to you. I was diagnosed in early 2017 and by January of this year I was in remission. At my first eye screening I was told I had retinopathy and the next few screenings was told it was not getting any worse. Last month I went for my 6 monthly screening to be told I had macular oedema and would need anti vega injections in my right eye. I was shocked and the opthamologist said how puzzled she was and was I anaemic or were my inflammation levels up ( I have PMR). I went to my doctor for blood tests and nothing showed up. My hba1c was 40. I had my first injection 3 weeks ago. It was not painful as you get so many numbing drops. The following week I had fluosceine angiography and the results of this show that my eye is responding well to the treatment. I am having another injection next week and then 1 each month for 2 more months.
This is relatively new treatment and can halt it.
Good luck to you. I don't know about the laser treatment but the injections seem to work well and are not painful.

Reactions: Phil966 and BibaBee

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel sick to the stomach that I’ve caused this myself
Big fat hug coming your way! I don't have experience with eye problems so can't advise you on that, but I'll keep my fingers crossed things will turn out fine for you!

AND YOU DIDN'T CAUSE THIS YOURSELF!

You're 32, so very young for T2, your fathers T2 suggests a predisposition and your being overweight can very well be a result of a dysfunctional system which caused your T2 as well, and not the other way round.

All the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil966 and BibaBee

Farkwald

I am upset reading your eye issues......I can't imagine how it must be impacting you. For us forum members, have your doctors recommended anything specific to eat or take to prevent this? I've read a couple vague ideas.....but this is one condition I would do anything to avoid....I know low BG is the best thing....and I work hard at achieving that. But if there is any vitamin combo, food source that does wonders, I am all ears and would like to know about it....I had a grandmother who lost her sight in her 50's due to T2....But that was in the 70's and technology has certainly moved on......Thanks, and best of luck to both of you! Keep an eye out on the forum!

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Natalie09

Has anyone out there had laser treatment who can reassure me re:keeping my driving licence? I am so so scared I am going to lose it and have to quit my job etc. Feeling very emotional over it all and really desperate for some more wise kind words if anyone can relate!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Natalie09 I'm sending massive hugs your way. It's completely understandable that you are terrified right now, but please try not to worry too much. There are lots of success stories on here and although you might not be able to drive for a while, it won't necessarily be forever. The good news is that this has been picked up and you will get treatment. They will do everything they can to preserve your eyesight. We've been through this with my husband very recently and come out the other end. We had some very dark days, particularly when he feared his eyesight would not return, but five months on and he is almost back to normal. The anti-Vegf injections can honestly be a game changer - I've heard several doctors and nurses at our eye hospital call them a miracle. Bringing your HBA1C down rapidly may have led to an escalation of the retinopathy and oedema. This was the certainly case with my husband, as initially he was put on insulin initially and his BG dropped rapidly. High blood pressure also had a role to play, so it's worth keeping a check on this and speaking with your GP if it's an issue for you. You'll get lots of support on here, so please do stick around. If you have any questions, just give me a shout or send me a private message. Take care of yourself. You will get through this. x

Last edited:
Reactions: DCUKMod

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone out there had laser treatment who can reassure me re:keeping my driving licence? I am so so scared I am going to lose it and have to quit my job etc. Feeling very emotional over it all and really desperate for some more wise kind words if anyone can relate!
I've replied to your initial post, but forgot to mention that my husband has had laser treatment (two lots). He doesn't drive and never has, but there are plenty people on here that do still drive who have had laser. My husband already has impaired vision in his right eye (he had macular oedema in both eyes), so only really has peripheral vision in that one. However, he has noticed no discernible difference in his peripheral vision since. Do you need laser and injections in just the right eye or both?

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am upset reading your eye issues......I can't imagine how it must be impacting you. For us forum members, have your doctors recommended anything specific to eat or take to prevent this? I've read a couple vague ideas.....but this is one condition I would do anything to avoid....I know low BG is the best thing....and I work hard at achieving that. But if there is any vitamin combo, food source that does wonders, I am all ears and would like to know about it....I had a grandmother who lost her sight in her 50's due to T2....But that was in the 70's and technology has certainly moved on......Thanks, and best of luck to both of you! Keep an eye out on the forum!
Really the best thing you can do is keep your BG under control and aim for as low a HBA1C as possible for you. Control of blood pressure and cholesterol are also very important. There are various macular health supplements on the market, usually containing lutein and sometimes bilberry extract. No idea if they work, but my husband takes them.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Natalie09 I'm sending massive hugs your way. It's completely understandable that you are terrified right now, but please try not to worry too much. There are lots of success stories on here and although you might not be able to drive for a while, it won't necessarily be forever. The good news is that this has been picked up and you will get treatment. They will do everything they can to preserve your eyesight. We've been through this with my husband very recently and come out the other end. We had some very dark days, particularly when he feared his eyesight would not return, but five months on and he is almost back to normal. The anti-Vegf injections can honestly be a game changer - I've heard several doctors and nurses at our eye hospital call them a miracle. Bringing your HBA1C down rapidly may have led to a rapid escalation of the retinopathy and oedema. This was the certainly case with my husband, as initially he was put on insulin initially and his BG dropped rapidly. High blood pressure also had a role to play, so it's worth keeping a check on this and speaking with your GP if it's an issue for you. You'll get lots of support on here, so please do stick around. If you have any questions, just give me a shout or send me a private message. Take care of yourself. You will get through this. x

Lovely to see you so positive BibaBee. I recall how, understandably, fearful you were yourself nearer the beginning of your journey. Long my the positivity continue.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely to see you so positive BibaBee. I recall how, understandably, fearful you were yourself nearer the beginning of your journey. Long my the positivity continue.
Thank you @DCUKMod. I cannot thank everyone on here enough for the support. It was a very tough period and not something we'd ever want to repeat. However, they do say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. We're both much stronger and wiser after the past few months. It's his HBA1C test on Tuesday, so keep everything crossed!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @DCUKMod. I cannot thank everyone on here enough for the support. It was a very tough period and not something we'd ever want to repeat. However, they do say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. We're both much stronger and wiser after the past few months. It's his HBA1C test on Tuesday, so keep everything crossed!

I'll cross my finger for him too.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches