could co-codamol be lowering my blood sugar?

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night I had 6 units of Novorapid then an egg sandwich. 2 hours later I had 2 units Novorapid then a very small snack. For the rest of the evening I could not control the rapid decrease in my blood sugar until after eating a combination of 4 Glucose tablets, a bar of plain chocolate, a cup of coffee and other snacks. Finally, I achieved the reading I needed to be able to go to get some sleep. During the night each time my sugars decreased luckily I woke up. Any help would be helpful thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @lollyann1 Out of interest why are you taking co-codamol ? I would be looking the reason why you are taking this rather than the medication itself, pain could be causing a stress reaction which which trigger the release of adenaline/cortisol either of which could be causing your bg levels to fall.

Reactions: connie104

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Long term user of co-codamol.

Personal experience is that it makes no difference to my control if I do or don't take it.

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @lollyann1 Out of interest why are you taking co-codamol ? I would be looking the reason why you are taking this rather than the medication itself, pain could be causing a stress reaction which which trigger the release of adenaline/cortisol either of which could be causing your bg levels to fall.

Hi I am taking Co-codamol for pain in the Sciatic Nerve, most probably caused by a problem with the Piriformis Muscle. The pain problems occur from time to time following a THR the year before last.