difficulty gaining weight

butch293

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i read a lot about people having issues with losing weight but i have the opposite problem, i am very slim and have trouble gaining weight, does anybody else have this issue or have any tips on how to overcome it?

Reactions: Timostags

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @butch293, Can you tell us a little about yourself - insulin types and doses, what sort of diet you are eating and things like amount and type of exercise? Any other health conditions and medications? Thank you, this info will help to see what might or might not be happening. Be aware that any of us can only suggest things but not advise on medical issues.

butch293

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @butch293, Can you tell us a little about yourself - insulin types and doses, what sort of diet you are eating and things like amount and type of exercise? Any other health conditions and medications? Thank you, this info will help to see what might or might not be happening. Be aware that any of us can only suggest things but not advise on medical issues.
lantis 21u, novarapid 10:1 my diet is varied pretty much eat whatever i get my hands on but i do still eat proper meals like roast dinners. i dont have any other medical condition to my knowledge. in the past i have done strength training but ive stopped. yeah i realise its just tips im looking for and to hear what others have done
thanks

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Butch293. I'd the same problem as I've been stick thin all my life and been on insulin for most of it. I never bothered too much about it until I retired and began to feel much colder in the winter months. My doc explained I'd hardly any natural layers of fat to keep me warm and referred me to a dietician at the diabetic clinic for suggestions on what to eat to increase my weight with minimum impact on my carb intake (I'm on 2 injections a day, 30/70 mixture so making adjustments might be trickier to deal with more meal-time carbs).

The dietician gave me lots of tips and some were:

- instead of eating chicken or cold ham sandwiches at lunchtime (my usual!) change them to cheese or high-fat meat i.e. corn beef

- try and eat a 2-egg omelette every day

- eat Greek yogurt (normal, obviously not not low fat versions which tend to be higher in carbs)

The best advice she gave me though was to buy the wee book called Carbs & Cals. I could then see the carbohydrate and fat content of the foods most of us eat here in the UK (about 1,600 or so). It was great and helped me easily choose food with a higher fat content.

My weight did eventually start to increase but my stomach couldn't deal with the change and I'd to go back to the previous food and buy a few more fleeces to keep me warm!

Bill