HbAIc level

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Had appointment with nurse yesterday and was told my HbA1c level was 5.6, does anyone know how to convert this ? Thanks x

Reactions: alan_diggers

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It means normal. You have a normal result! Congratulations. You are still diabetic but you have controlled your sugar for the last couple of months - well done! Keep it up.

Reactions: Rob_simms

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you want it converted to the other way of measuring hba1c or to average glucose? Anyway, here's both and it's a brilliant result!

Reactions: Kay321

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry, I don't have a link to the converter (for HbA1c measures) but your 5.6 equates to a result of 38 which is fantastic, very well done.

D

Deleted Account

The converter is available on diabetes.co.uk (this website).
Go the the home page, type “Hb1ac” into the search page and it is one of the first listed pages.

This site is amazing, it has much much more than the forum and I feel it is an under utilised resource.

ailsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I got result from doctor my HbA1c is 57 gone up from 51 in May. I was surprised and disappointed at such a big rise. I have had a few holidays - lucky me - but I had been careful. I had been to sheer about sore throat and cold st c which had been going on for a few weeks. She mentioned something about the red blood sells might have caused the rise. But all I could think of was 5.7. Anyone know about how infections effect red blood cells. Etc.

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
It means normal. You have a normal result! Congratulations. You are still diabetic but you have controlled your sugar for the last couple of months - well done! Keep it up.
Thank you

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thank you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got result from doctor my HbA1c is 57 gone up from 51 in May. I was surprised and disappointed at such a big rise. I have had a few holidays - lucky me - but I had been careful. I had been to sheer about sore throat and cold st c which had been going on for a few weeks. She mentioned something about the red blood sells might have caused the rise. But all I could think of was 5.7. Anyone know about how infections effect red blood cells. Etc.

I don't know about infections affecting red blood cells. It is normally the white blood cells that are affected. However, the HbA1c relies on every one of us having bog standard red blood cells, but we don't. It relies on our red blood cells living the average of about 120 days before dying off and being replaced with new ones. Some people have RBC that live longer than 120 days. These people will see higher than expected HbA1cs. Some people have them that live less than 120 days. These people will have lower than expected HbA1cs. Also, people with non-standard Haematocrit levels will also have an HbA1c that is unexpected. Haematocrits are part of our red blood cells.

ailsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't know about infections affecting red blood cells. It is normally the white blood cells that are affected. However, the HbA1c relies on every one of us having bog standard red blood cells, but we don't. It relies on our red blood cells living the average of about 120 days before dying off and being replaced with new ones. Some people have RBC that live longer than 120 days. These people will see higher than expected HbA1cs. Some people have them that live less than 120 days. These people will have lower than expected HbA1cs. Also, people with non-standard Haematocrit levels will also have an HbA1c that is unexpected. Haematocrits are part of our red blood cells.
Thanks for your reply. Realised later I had put my info on someone else's thread. Sorry about that. Thanks again doesn't sound so bad. Getting my MOT at hospital in January so hope it goes back down then.