Eyesight and BG levels (especially changing ones)

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Quick backstory: T2D for 20 years but also a binge eater, so I have had my ups and downs with control, been on various types and levels of medication depending on how well I was controlling my diet. Discovered low carb 2.5 years ago and did really well for a year - losing 4 stone and having near-normal BG's on a low dose of metformin.

Then it all went badly pear-shaped, due in no small measure to stress->**** eating->weight gain and high BG's. Being stubborn I waited too long thinking I could sort myself out before going back to the doc. Also avoided going for my sight test when I should have done, because I knew that raised BG would mean my prescription wouldn't be 'real', if you know what I mean.

Eventually decided enough was enough, started seeing a counsellor for the stressy stuff and the GP/DN re my blood glucose. Then I had a fall, smashed my glasses, and had no choice but to see the optician. But she wouldn't prescribe until my BG had stabilised, so I am stuck wearing my old glasses - which are not my most recent prescription, but slightly weaker. The optician said that high BG's make you less short-sighted, so at the time the old glasses were actually a better fit than the ones I broke.

I started on Trulicity 10 days ago...... my BG's have dropped like a stone.... and the past few days, it feels like my vision has really changed, but NOT in a helpful direction. I wear varifocals..... neither the distance nor the reading prescription feels right. So, anyone know how long it takes for the eyes to sort themselves out after a rapid drop in BG?

To put it in context - I use the freestyle libre intermittently. Before Trulicity, my daily average BG was 13.5. The first couple of days after starting it, it was 9. And now (only just over a week later) it has just dipped below 8.

Reactions: Charis1213

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are your eyes blurry on and off ? The reason I ask is that my blood sugar was high and my eyes were blurry , as the sugar dropped my eyes started clearing and it took about five weeks , I don't know much about prescription glasses but i do know that as the numbers drop they eyes improve .

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My eyes don't feel particularly blurry (though they are dry, and the optician's suggested some drops for that), it's just that my glasses feel like the prescription just isn't right..... and it got worse after the rapid drop in BG caused by the Trulicity. I see the optician again on 17th Jan. Just hope things are stable enough then that she will prescribe, because I've been relying on my old glasses since I had the fall in late November.