Advice req please on testing meter and strips

JaneKennedy

Hi I haven’t posted for a long time.
I’m would love some advice please if anyone can point me in the right direction?
I was type 2 diagnosed with a high hba1c and over time reduced it to 5.8. My meter and strips along with low carb and exercise allowed me to do this.
Now I find myself battling with my GP surgery who it seems are quite happy to prescribe me metformin and glycoside ( sorry if spelt incorrectly) and lancets but Not the testing Strips.
I have not had any medication for over 2 years only at initial diagnosis.
They have given me 50 strips today and I had 50 in November last year.
It has become a big part of my health management and I am concerned about what to do.
That’s the first point.
The second question is if I have to buy my own ... which I will do if I have to can anyone recommend a cheap efficient testing kit please including lancets and strips?
I am sorry if I am repeating questions that have already been asked.
Thank you.

Reactions: Paulwgun

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you have been precribed glicoside you need to test to ensure you do not go hypo.
In fact if you are driving -- it's mandatory.

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

JaneKennedy

I recently switched to this one

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

which seems more accurate for me any way than the one I used to use which was this one

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Spirit seem pretty good on speed of delivery 2-3 business days and if you ring and place your first order you might even get the meter for free (as the benefit to the company is to sell you the strips)

Hope that helps
Thank you so much for your reply.
I really cannot live without a meter
I recently switched to this one

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

which seems more accurate for me any way than the one I used to use which was this one

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Spirit seem pretty good on speed of delivery 2-3 business days and if you ring and place your first order you might even get the meter for free (as the benefit to the company is to sell you the strips)

Hope that helps
Thank you so much.
That really is very helpful .
Is it the case now that GPS aren notorescibing strips at all?
Kindest wishes
Janey

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
are you still taking the gliclizide? I'm just a bit confused as you say the GP will prescribe you the gliclizide but you haven't had any medication for 2 years.

I'm on gliclizide (though have dropped it at the moment as I'm doing extreme low carb) I only get 50 strips a month, which if everything goes well and I can come off gliclizide completely I will lose - I have always had to supplement my test strips by buying them myself - it's wrong but it seems to be the norm for T2

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must have an enlightend GP's just got my strips increased, on Gliclizide and driving, was running out of strips just on the journeys to and from work, explained to DN, script increased

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@JaneKennedy ,

If your GP is prescribing you glucose lowering drugs like Gliclazide he must give you testing strips he cannot refuse them, they may want to change you to their preferred meter though, if you were on insulin you might have a case to request staying on your original meter, if you drive you must by law test before driving and every 2 hrs during the journey, so I think you have the right to go back and request more strips.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it the case now that GPS aren notorescibing strips at all?
My CCG says no strips for unmedicated T2's
My surgery said "If you make a good case" they will prescribe some..
I just buy my own because its easier..
Depending on your medication and if you drive I think your GP may be required to prescribe as others have said above.