Im scarred!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sukaren

I have only been diagnosed for 3 mths....and Im really scarred. Ive heard that there can be complications related to diabetes and Im worried to death! Can anyone help me to cope better?

Linda59

Hi Sukaren, please don't be scared just get wise and read all you can on this site, there is a lot of help on here, ask questions someone will be able to advise...:)

Linda

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Sukaren.You've made the first step to getting info by joining us.We all felt like you when first told,especially when you get the 'doom and gloom' scenarios! Don't worry you're not going to go blind today nor are your feet going to drop off tomorrow!
Start reading this forum and you will find lots of info on how YOU can take control of your diabetes and keep it under control so that you will not suffer some of these horrors the doctors frighten you with? Are you type 1 or 2? Are you on tablets or insulin? Tell us a bit about yourself.

Knowledge is the key to control

Sukaren

Thank you Sugarless Sue and Linda for your welcome. I think Im type 2? the doctor has not said in so many words! Im on Metformin. I am due for a review at the surgery next wk....Ive been so gutted by it all I have not asked too many questions silly I know. But I have been scarred by all the complications that you mention i.e blindness and loss of limbs etc I had this one doctor that really laid it on the line.....really left me in bits hense I have refused to see her again. I have found this site more helpful than Diabetes UK...this is less scarry somehow.

Thank you again ladies.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Poor you!Try not to be too scared,we've all had the worst case scenario from the docs but this happens only if you don't take care of yourself,it is not inevitable! If you are on metformin then they are treating you for type 2 diabetes.Have a read of the links for type 2 in the diabetes discussion bit.Don't try and take it in all at once,just browse.

Sukaren

Oh! thank you Sue that makes me feel abit better. I have noted from another post that 7.0 was still considered high....I had been under the impression that 7.0 was acceptable I flutuate between 5.5 and 7.2 and thought I was doing ok....obviously NOT! I started with 21.0 in September when all this came to light. What is the ideal level????

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
5.5 and 7.2 isn't bad! The ideal is below 7.0 so your doing good.The doctors and nurses tell you to get down below 6.5 I think.Keep it down like you are doing and you will be in control!