Type 1 Is this discrimination or am I over reacting.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd encourage the OP to phone the Equality and Human Rights Commission's helpline.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en

It's an official body set up to gee up compliance with the Equality Act. It's a shockingly complex piece of legislation but the commission is pretty good at steering people through it.

It did some darned good work in the Julie Wyper case in Scotland, getting a local authority to fund a care assistant for a T1 pupil.

It's astonishing that this is even being discussed - T1s are licensed to drive cars at 70 mph on motorways (80 to 90 is more fun, but don't tell anyone..) and we've even got a T1 commercial jet pilot posting here from time to time, so what the heck is wrong with a T1 driving a fork-lift?

Reactions: Jonlennon

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lovely people.

Posts have been deleted as irrelevant to the OP's thread.

Please stay within the confines of the topic.
What are this chap's rights on hypo inducing diabetes prescribed medication...

Thanks.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi guys,

Quick show of hands of anyone who's ever been a warehouse operative or held down a management capacity in the profession regarding logistics, dispatch & storage..?
Possibly a HR role capacity in relation to the aforementioned?

There are other physical duties in this noble profession, other than just trundling round like a Dalek all day... Regardless of ones status with a "ticket." :)
Immediately after leaving university in 1982, when I was over £800 overdrawn, I took the first job going. It was mainly dispatching central heating radiators around the UK. Amongst my first jobs was that of a fork-lift driver. I was a brittle Type 1, of which the director was aware, and although I had a hypo (in the office 5 years later, which necessitated being taken to hospital), this never happened while in control. The main reason was certainly because I was only too aware of the expense of any accident, which therefore made me responsible for testing regularly, even in those days. I can fully understand @Jonlennon 's reaction, but I think it would be difficult to quote discrimination. It seems unfair that he is not given the chance to prove his responsibility. Insurance was mentioned above, and while I was Type 1, my condition always shoved up the premium considerably. Now there's an interesting idea - could we reduce the palaces acquired by insurers by quoting discrimination?

Reactions: Robinredbreast
D

Deleted member 308541

Where I used to work at Mt Isa Mines, the overhead crane drivers in the smelters also drove big forklifts. A friend of mine who ended up a T2 diabetic on insulin was grounded for safety reasons which included driving the forks.

He ended back in a control room in the copper smelter with out a licence.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Immediately after leaving university in 1982, when I was over £800 overdrawn, I took the first job going. It was mainly dispatching central heating radiators around the UK. Amongst my first jobs was that of a fork-lift driver. I was a brittle Type 1, of which the director was aware, and although I had a hypo (in the office 5 years later, which necessitated being taken to hospital), this never happened while in control. The main reason was certainly because I was only too aware of the expense of any accident, which therefore made me responsible for testing regularly, even in those days. I can fully understand @Jonlennon 's reaction, but I think it would be difficult to quote discrimination. It seems unfair that he is not given the chance to prove his responsibility. Insurance was mentioned above, and while I was Type 1, my condition always shoved up the premium considerably. Now there's an interesting idea - could we reduce the palaces acquired by insurers by quoting discrimination?

Hi, you have made a very good point, the OP should be given a chance, but I doubt Insurance companies will play ball as there are 'risk' factors in most policies.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Strangely, my premium driving a Jap import as aT1 don't seem to be affected by comparison to "norms" in age & postcode location. So there maybe hope... ;):) But that's pending also on the op's employer's view of his situation. (Who may relent after some sensible negotiation?)
I'm certainly more likely to do more mileage on a public highway with more "variables" to "H&S" than the average forklift truck on premisis...

But hey. I'm just rooting for the OP without the if's & maybe's of falling out the driver's seat? :banghead:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Err fork lift trucks are equipped with a dead mans switch so that if someone becomes incapacitated for what ever reason, such as say a hypo or a heart attack or a feint, the truck will automatically come to a halt.
The fork lift may well have safety devices but the operator hasn't. Unusually as a Type 2 I had a hypo due to the exuberance of the DN and her pills. I did not function in the manner I would have done if fitted with a dead man's handle. Vagueness, shaking and an optimism that I was alright really and trying to carry on. I actually finished the car journey unharmed but it was a heads up.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
On a forklift truck it is not a handle it is a peddle on the floor this has to be depressed with the foot in order for the truck to operate well on all the ones I have operated in the past this was the case it takes force to operate and as soon as your foot comes off it the truck stops.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gentlemen.

There is a time & a place for what pedal does what.
I'm sure the OP would get a chance to find out, should acceptance & training for the role commence..

Thanks!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
True I am merely pointing out that there are safety protocols and devises in place which would make the question of health and safety in this case for the most part redundant and that the op should not be denied progression within the job any more or less than any one else. Though one thing does occur to me and that is under the employment law in the UK within the first 12 months an employer can terminate your employment without having to give cause and the op has been in the job only 6 months so any action he feels he may need to take should be undertaken with that as a consideration.

Jonlennon

I'd encourage the OP to phone the Equality and Human Rights Commission's helpline.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en

It's an official body set up to gee up compliance with the Equality Act. It's a shockingly complex piece of legislation but the commission is pretty good at steering people through it.

It did some darned good work in the Julie Wyper case in Scotland, getting a local authority to fund a care assistant for a T1 pupil.

It's astonishing that this is even being discussed - T1s are licensed to drive cars at 70 mph on motorways (80 to 90 is more fun, but don't tell anyone..) and we've even got a T1 commercial jet pilot posting here from time to time, so what the heck is wrong with a T1 driving a fork-lift?
My thoughts exactly.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, all I can say is that in my job I wield weapons, I drive as fast as is safe in emergencies (well over 70mph), I confront situations on a moments whim, I can be called upon to assist others, to attend pub fights, to command serious incidents and on and on and on. I take precautions (as adjusted by my employers, this minimises risks but does not eliminate them, how can it?). However every person in every job has a risk of some sort and in Jon's case, if his employer has decided something with no rationale (as seems to be the case), then it IS discrimination in my view. If Johns employer was my employer it sounds like he would have me sat in an office. This is not right and as Scott says, needs reporting if only to obtain an independent viewpoint.