Dimple on Libre Sensor

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Has anyone ever noticed a small dimple or depression on the top of their Libre sensor?
I am NOT talking about the little hole right in the very middle. I am talking about the very small depression, about 1.5mm in diameter, about 5mm from the outer edge of the sensor.
Somebody said, on another web forum, that it indicated the location of the internal aerial for the Near Field Communications chip. They said that if you positioned your MiaoMiao above this dimple, that it would achieve a more reliable connection.
When my current sensor runs out in 3 days, I have decided that I am going to pull it apart and see if anything appears to line up with it.
Not a lot written about it, but then again, until I read the other forum, I never noticed it was there.
Have YOU guys noticed it before?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Noticed but never spent any thoughts on it. Following this thread in case I'll ever buy a MiaoMiao :)

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
My first sensor comes off tomorrow and my MiaoMiao is in the post. I'll get the pliers out and have a look...

Thanks Chris. Let me know what you find. My MM is in the post too. Bit of a holdup cos of Chinese New Year.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone ever noticed a small dimple or depression on the top of their Libre sensor?
I am NOT talking about the little hole right in the very middle. I am talking about the very small depression, about 1.5mm in diameter, about 5mm from the outer edge of the sensor.
Somebody said, on another web forum, that it indicated the location of the internal aerial for the Near Field Communications chip. They said that if you positioned your MiaoMiao above this dimple, that it would achieve a more reliable connection.
When my current sensor runs out in 3 days, I have decided that I am going to pull it apart and see if anything appears to line up with it.
Not a lot written about it, but then again, until I read the other forum, I never noticed it was there.
Have YOU guys noticed it before?

Oddly, I'm just looking at an old used sensor. But haven't had the chance to pull it apart. (Yet!) :D
Bearing in mind the diameter size of the sensor, I wouldn't have thought a "marker" like this dimple would be needed for the NFC to line up the coil to transmit? Just finding the location & enough & "blip."
I thought it maybe something to do with the applicator holding it steady, without hindering the initial push down & retraction when applied?

Miaomiao & Abbot are two completely seperate developers, (to my knowledge.) so I would also doubt the dimple's put there to throw MM "a bone on where to line it up by Abbot, either..

I'll tag in @Scott-C for thoughts.. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't have thought a "marker" like this dimple would be needed for the NFC to line up the coil to transmit?
Let's all take our used sensors apart and compare the location of the dimple!

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol,

Now you got me taking an even closer look at the white casing @Capt-Slog .

Another thought is simply where the plastic was possibly "injection moulded" & the spot of entry to the casting was "linished" out..? ;)

Can't wait to start pulling it apart! :D

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Lol,

Now you got me taking an even closer look at the white casing @Capt-Slog .

Another thought is simply where the plastic was possibly "injection moulded" & the spot of entry to the casting was "linished" out..? ;)

Can't wait to start pulling it apart! :D

Aah, the injection moulding could be the answer. Let us know what you find.
I have taken one apart before and found it quite a job until it was finally in (many) bits.
It was interesting to find that the battery still had loads of charge left.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'll tag in @Scott-C for thoughts.. :)

Haven't a clue, Jaylee.

The mysteries of the Libre Dimple are as deep and bewitching as why Stonehenge and the Nazca Lines are there...

Och, you've spoilt the mystery now!

Agree, I reckon it's that one - underneath, there's three plugs of plastic from moulding, the Dimple is directly underneath one of them, so maybe just a manufacturing artifact?

We're going to have to get either Indiana Jones or someone who works in the plastic moulding business to solve this one...

Reactions: Jaylee

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
My other half has commented that now I have drawn people’s attention to the dimple, anyone who is OCD (like me apparently) will be ensuring that their dimple always points the same way.
Unfortunately, as far as I am concerned, she is probably right :(

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Haven't a clue, Jaylee.

The mysteries of the Libre Dimple are as deep and bewitching as why Stonehenge and the Nazca Lines are there...

Och, you've spoilt the mystery now!

Agree, I reckon it's that one - underneath, there's three plugs of plastic from moulding, the Dimple is directly underneath one of them, so maybe just a manufacturing artifact?

We're going to have to get either Indiana Jones or someone who works in the plastic moulding business to solve this one...

****, I was hoping it was going to be something more exciting or significant. Oh well, it gave us something to talk about for a while.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
****, I was hoping it was going to be something more exciting or significant. Oh well, it gave us something to talk about for a while.

Lol, mate, libre still has many, many more mysteries to be solved!

I see you've just joined today, so welcome aboard!

Good to see from yr post #4 that you've got an MM winging it's way towards you - there's a fair few of us here running libre with either blucon or mm, and xdrip+ or spike, so it's a good place to shoot the breeze on how to get these Heath Robinson set ups actually working...

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Thanks Scott.
I have been looking for somewhere to talk to other diabetics.
I am part of a group that meet to talk but it is only once a month and that just doesn’t seem enough for me. Also, most of my group are type 2 and mainly want to talk about recipes and diet.
This forum seems much better for me.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Searching.... searching.... I'm sure i've encountered a used sensor somewhere in my home in a strange place and thinking "I can't be bothered to walk to the bin right now, I'll encounter it again if I just put it here." But where was 'here'?

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hey ho, here we go... :)

The coil for the transmitter appears to be in the leading edge of the PCB..

Fantastic job Jaylee. That is the most in depth “unboxing” of a Libre I have seen yet!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Scott.
I have been looking for somewhere to talk to other diabetics.
I am part of a group that meet to talk but it is only once a month and that just doesn’t seem enough for me. Also, most of my group are type 2 and mainly want to talk about recipes and diet.
This forum seems much better for me.

Come and say hello to us on the Type 1'stars R Us thread:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-1stars-r-us.150597/page-616#post-1993392

As you say, there are more T2s than T1s, so the T1 voice can sometimes be swamped with an over-emphasis on avoiding carbs, whereas the T1 folks tend to look at it as here's some carbs, what bolus do I want for that.

The thread I've linked to is just a bunch of T1s, many of them the same sort of age group as you, 40 to 70, we very often just blether on about this, that and the next thing, a lot of it has nothing at all to do with T1 (we love going wildly off topic!), but there's always a fair bit to do with the realities of fitting T1 into day to day life.

Almond flour and chia seeds aren't mentioned much...

Reactions: urbanracer

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fantastic job Jaylee. That is the most in depth “unboxing” of a Libre I have seen yet!

Yeah, just a bit. But at least it'll give an idea what's going on under the shell.. :)