supermarket food

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought exactly the same. They should have had the shock factor if after the added sugar represented by cubes, then added the total carb/glucose effect in cubes like they did on The Truth About Carbs. Some of the so-called dieticians’ comments were outdated.

My guess it would be a misrepresentation adding the longer acting carb content using cubes as an example regarding the target audience, thus highlighting a relatively condition free family paying over the odds for convenience & needlessly supplementing their diet..
LOL, metabolisms differ enough regarding diagnosed diabetics. lets not confuse the "norms." ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cocoa Pops Rocks by Kellogs ..

These are a popular source of breakfast cereal in my house. I never touch them.

Note the added sugar and overall carbs. Nasty stuff, rather like the examples in the programme.

C17D264F-7F63-4EA0-BE82-85FD43A7EFFB.jpeg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed, but for example a low carb cake from a bakers or a tasty low carb ice cream might not go amiss. I just made some great low carb ice cream but it wasn’t exactly convenient. I was fortunate enough to double it up as a fun session with the kid but on a busy day I would not have the time.

There are lower carb ice creams out there, and the problem with lower carb baked goods is the longevity. Most seems to be short lived, from what I've seen.

Yet again, I return to what is low carb in a single product? In the context of a day, 20gr per 100gr could be low carb, when 5gr per 100gr becomes high carb, if tagged onto an otherwise carb-tasting day.

When low carb is loosely defined as under 130gr carb a day, products labelled to be suitable within that met I'd would be way, way off to many in here. Do we then need another section for Keyo products, or lacto-keto-gluten-free products?

I'm not suggesting we need to put up barriers to eating a reduced carb diet, but what we must not do is dumb down everything to the extent we quash the ability to think. Some organisations, using strict dietary plans and products have done that, and their costumers end up not understanding what is happening. They just know it does or doesn't work today.

Reactions: HSSS

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are lower carb ice creams out there, and the problem with lower carb baked goods is the longevity. Most seems to be short lived, from what I've seen.

Yet again, I return to what is low carb in a single product? In the context of a day, 20gr per 100gr could be low carb, when 5gr per 100gr becomes high carb, if tagged onto an otherwise carb-tasting day.

When low carb is loosely defined as under 130gr carb a day, products labelled to be suitable within that met I'd would be way, way off to many in here. Do we then need another section for Keyo products, or lacto-keto-gluten-free products?

I'm not suggesting we need to put up barriers to eating a reduced carb diet, but what we must not do is dumb down everything to the extent we quash the ability to think. Some organisations, using strict dietary plans and products have done that, and their costumers end up not understanding what is happening. They just know it does or doesn't work today.
From a personal point of view I am trying to achieve a carb intake around 100 grams a day, plus or minus. I am also thinking on a different level where I can eliminate or neutralise one or two high carb elements in my wifes and daughters diet. That isn’t to say I want them to go keto, it’s simply to try and reduce the amount of carbs they eat per day as they eat so many. As I am effectively playing the role of a working mum I do not have the luxury of swanning around the kitchen all day producing low carb home cooked food. Having said that I am going to give it a try and have low carb pancakes and low carb Nutella spread lined up aswell as low carb ice cream which was a success. A helping hand from some more convenient low carb products wouldn’t go amiss though.

I detected in my GPs question to me the other day asking me how I managed with a low(er) carb diet, that he was trying to weigh up whether or how easy I found it to be doable. It’s one thing “prescribing” a low carb diet, but it is another thing carrying one through and I sensed that was the drift of his question to me. I responded by saying it has been hard going and for me it has been hard going for a number of reasons. A little bit of convenience would help sometimes and I have noticed this echoed in some other members postings.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From a personal point of view I am trying to achieve a carb intake around 100 grams a day, plus or minus. I am also thinking on a different level where I can eliminate or neutralise one or two high carb elements in my wifes and daughters diet. That isn’t to say I want them to go keto, it’s simply to try and reduce the amount of carbs they eat per day as they eat so many. As I am effectively playing the role of a working mum I do not have the luxury of swanning around the kitchen all day producing low carb home cooked food. Having said that I am going to give it a try and have low carb pancakes and low carb Nutella spread lined up aswell as low carb ice cream which was a success. A helping hand from some more convenient low carb products wouldn’t go amiss though.

I detected in my GPs question to me the other day asking me how I managed with a low(er) carb diet, that he was trying to weigh up whether or how easy I found it to be doable. It’s one thing “prescribing” a low carb diet, but it is another thing carrying one through and I sensed that was the drift of his question to me. I responded by saying it has been hard going and for me it has been hard going for a number of reasons. A little bit of convenience would help sometimes and I have noticed this echoed in some other members postings.

But I come back to how do you define a low carb product that you would have on the shelf of your low carb area in a supermarket? Is all low carb then based on your 100gr a day, and how does a Lloyd Grossman sauce fit into that, as it is an element and not a whole meal. That is my point.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But I come back to how do you define a low carb product that you would have on the shelf of your low carb area in a supermarket? Is all low carb then based on your 100gr a day, and how does a Lloyd Grossman sauce fit into that, as it is an element and not a whole meal. That is my point.
Probably the best example of that is the lower carb breads. What I do is go to one of the bigger supermarkets and look through the breads. I don’t bake my own bread. Then I select from what’s on the shelf based on ingredients and carbs. Okay, so for some that is too carby but for me and others not so. If we then think out of the box a little it can be stretched across into othe areas. Going by the surge in gluten free products I would agree with Jim Lahey that it won’t be long before low carb products become more abundant on supermarket shelves given that the NHS is likely to be revamping its dietary advice to the nation in the not to distant future.

I would buy a low carb Nutella spread to feed the other two members of my family instead of the conventional stuff. Low carb purchases might not always be driven by keto.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably the best example of that is the lower carb breads. What I do is go to one of the bigger supermarkets and look through the breads. I don’t bake my own bread. Then I select from what’s on the shelf based on ingredients and carbs. Okay, so for some that is too carby but for me and others not so. If we then think out of the box a little it can be stretched across into othe areas. Going by the surge in gluten free products I would agree with Jim Lahey that it won’t be long before low carb products become more abundant on supermarket shelves given that the NHS is likely to be revamping its dietary advice to the nation in the not to distant future.
So, wh defines what fits into low carb. Gluten free, or lacto free is easy, because they're free from. A reduced carb bread, whether like need or other isn't free from carbs.

Then how is it evaluated unless the whole meal or day is clear.

I'll butt out now though as we both obviously are at different places of what we expect from ourselves in terms of health choices

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, wh defines what fits into low carb. Gluten free, or lacto free is easy, because they're free from. A reduced carb bread, whether like need or other isn't free from carbs.

Then how is it evaluated unless the whole meal or day is clear.

I'll butt out now though as we both obviously are at different places of what we expect from ourselves in terms of health choices
Oh yes, not easy to define. And it does depend on an individuals needs or what they perceive their needs to be.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Low Carb food products will be to diet as e cigs are to smokers. That being the case there will be both positives and negatives spawned from the proliferation of them. :D

M

Member496333

Just buy food instead of products and there’s no debate or need for any definition of low carbohydrate :)

Reactions: Flora123

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just buy food instead of products and there’s no debate or need for any definition of low carbohydrate :)
Jim. I see your point of view. I honestly do. But that isn’t the only angle on things.

I have been a just buy food protagonist for many years. But sometimes, just sometimes it isn’t always as easy as some people make out.

There is a debate because not all “food” in the sense you mention is low carb.

I am not a keto purist and don’t need to be and don’t want to be. I accept your needs and requirements. It would be nice to have that reciprocated.

Quite frankly anyone who says (not you Jim) “they have time to post on the forum but can’t find time to fry an egg” is a bit narrow in their thinking.

Last edited:
M

Member496333

Jim. I see your point of view. I honestly do. But that isn’t the only angle on things.

I have been a just buy food protagonist for many years. But sometimes, just sometimes it isn’t always as easy as some people make out.

There is a debate because not all “food” in the sense you mention is low carb.

I am not a keto purist and don’t need to be and don’t want to be. I accept your needs and requirements. It would be nice to have that reciprocated.

Quite frankly anyone who says “they have time to post on the forum but can’t find time to fry an egg” is a bit narrow in their thinking.

I agree entirely but people should be empowered to understand what they’re eating. Real food allows this, whereas food-like products put the power into the hands of those who manufacture them. I also accept that eating real food isn’t practical for all of us all of the time, but nevertheless that is the only way to be sure. Trusting in “Sainsbury’s” to decide what is or isn’t low-carbohydrate just moves us to the next weakest link in the chain which is the addition of chemicals and sweeteners, and then we need another label to define that...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I believe that convenience foods are a bit more convenient for manufacturers/supermarkets than they are for customers. I do not want to eat something that has chemicals to prolong shelf life in them whether they are considered safe (see GRAS tag) or not.

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Batch cooking. If I make chilli or casserole or meatloaf, I make enough for several meals and freeze. That way I get the convenience of a ready cooked meal when I need it. I also make a chicken thigh dish with leeks and mushrooms and make enough for 2 meals.
I also buy some ready prepared cuts of meat from the local butcher such as beef olives, beef peppercorn parcels which can go straight into the oven so I only need to do some veg.
I know what he puts in them. They are obviously more expensive working out around £3 each, but then I’m supplementing this with my much more economical batch cooking. It helps I love to cook

Reactions: lovinglife and HSSS

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another good example is low carb potato’s. I know some members eat them. Our Aussie and Dutch friends I believe. Every little helps. I would buy and eat those if available here in the UK.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see Low Carb eating as a broad church, rather like the parliamentary Labour Party and the Conservative Party. :D - just kidding on that last bit.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I see Low Carb eating as a broad church, rather like the parliamentary Labour Party and the Conservative Party. :D - just kidding on that last bit.

Basically, you're wanting a processed food diet that is lower in carbs. This, I suspect, is because at a fundamental level you do not wish to change from your modern western way of eating. You saw the programme, I believe, so you know about the hype and the additives re gluten free? Are you under the illusion that if/when low carb really takes off it won't be exactly the same scenario?
In my opinion one should not abrogate responsibility to manufacturers or supermarkets for nutrition or safety whatever the product.

It matters little what choices one makes as an individual but calling for 'more of the same, please' may not be the wisest of choices in my personal opinion.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically, you're wanting a processed food diet that is lower in carbs.
That’s not correct? Definitely not. Where have I said that? You are jumping to some incorrect and unsubstantiated conclusions.

I have never said that in 25 to 30 years. Well never in a lifetime actually.