Intermittent Fasting

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
What's everyone's 'window' and how many hours do you leave between the last and first meals? Also, is it OK to fast every day or is it best to have a break every now and then?

Peace and love in abundance people xxx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal window is between 1 pm and 8 pm max and often closer to 3 pm to 8 pm.
For me that’s the daily norm with random extended fasts.
Edit to add as well as some OMAD days too.

Last edited:
Reactions: LindsayJane

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My personal window is between 1 pm and 8 pm max and often closer to 3 pm to 8 pm.
For me that’s the daily norm with random extended fasts.
So, you miss breakfast but are lunch and dinner significantly bigger to compensate? Sorry to be personal but I feel IF is the next step for me and want to get it right x

M

Member496333

My preference is to mix it up and not stick to any one strategy. Mostly I only eat between 12:00-19:00. Sometimes OMAD. It really just depends on my appetite. If I’m hungry I eat to full satiety and don’t overthink it. I am very lean though and don’t have a lot of fat that my body is willing to readily give up, so activity tends to bring on an appetite quite quickly. If I’m lifting weights I’ll become almost immediately ravenous and will have a hearty meal, irrespective of the time of day (but still rarely after 19:00).

Summary - I eat when I’m hungry, stop when I’m not, and don’t necessarily stick to set meal times.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, you miss breakfast but are lunch and dinner significantly bigger to compensate? Sorry to be personal but I feel IF is the next step for me and want to get it right x
I've been doing this for over 3 years so its hard to say.. I try to eat until I'm full then stop (although rarely with food left on the plate). When I was a carb eater I possibly used to eat more and was a bit of a glutton, I believe down to the hormonal effect of carbs with high and low sugar levels. Since giving them up my hunger seems more balanced so I eat less bulk for sure. I don't subscribe to the "calories" model of weight loss.

M

Member496333

I've been doing this for over 3 years so its hard to say.. I try to eat until I'm full then stop (although rarely with food left on the plate). When I was a carb eater I possibly used to eat more and was a bit of a glutton, I believe down to the hormonal effect of carbs with high and low sugar levels. Since giving them up my hunger seems more balanced so I eat less bulk for sure. I don't subscribe to the "calories" model of weight loss.

Same. My appetite since dumping carbohydrate is now perfectly tuned and controlled by my endocrine system. In other words it’s no longer hijacked by glucose dependence. I eat what I want when I want and have never been happier or healthier :smug:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who usually eats when hungry and doesn't when not.

Sometimes I'll only need one meal, sometimes I might eat 2, 3, or 4 smaller ones. Breakfast and then lunch are the meals I most frequently skip , but that's possibly due to a long lifetime of eating my main meal in the evening - usually between 7-8pm.

Robbity

PS My husband does his own thing, so I'm free to please myself what and when I eat.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you everyone for your responses, I now feel armed with enough information to takle IF like a boss. Surprisingly simple rule though, eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not! :p

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To help with Dawn Phenominum I am better to eat small breakfast but if I went through to teatime if that might suit me and be of use? So that would be me eating 8am and 8pm.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To help with Dawn Phenominum I am better to eat small breakfast but if I went through to teatime if that might suit me and be of use? So that would be me eating 8am and 8pm.
I don't think I've actually encountered the Dawn Phenomenum yet. Something else to look forward to!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I've actually encountered the Dawn Phenomenum yet. Something else to look forward to!
Don't be bothered by it - it's just the result of your liver doing its job, preparing your for the day. You may find that your ^wake up" glucose levels take
longer to come down than your ( probably more informative and certainly more controllable!) pre and post meal ones, but mine's never had any great impact on my overall results so I just let it be.

Robbity

Reactions: Shas3
M

Member496333

Don't be bothered by it - it's just the result of your liver doing its job, preparing your for the day. You may find that your ^wake up" glucose levels take
longer to come down than your ( probably more informative and certainly more controllable!) pre and post meal ones, but mine's never had any great impact on my overall results so I just let it be.

Robbity

I both agree and respectfully disagree. Dawn phenomenon probably isn’t worth stressing over too much in the early days, but I wouldn’t agree that it shouldn’t be a concern. In my view, fasting glucose is the best practical measure of insulin resistance that we can easily attain at home with a glucometer. The ‘runaway train liver’ in the morning indicates (to me) serious metabolic dysfunction. It’s normal for the liver to secrete glucose during this time especially, but it’s not normal for it to ignore the requisite insulin secretion that is supposed to meter it.

It’s fixable in the fullness of time, but only when it’s been achieved do I personally think that the metabolism has returned to some semblance of normalcy. Others, as always, are free to disagree :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shas3

pardalope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pardalope. Hi Guys. I’m a 88 year old , and I eat 5pm to 7pm then again next day at 5pm . I’m happy with that but family are not . I get all sort of predictions. But I sail on . I do not think I’m mad. What do you guys think .T