LCHF without ketosis - Beneficial?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me "high fat" simply means normal full fat food rather than the reduced/low/lite stuff, and it's only "high" in relation to the low proportion of carbs in my diet.

I think that describes my levels of high fat intake i.e. higher than the lower levels I was at for the years where I cut fat out of my diet.

So @Robbity you are saying that you can regulate your weight with your levels of fat intake?

Reactions: Shas3

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After all that enthusiasm on LCHF i ended up eating rice for lunch today (not wanting to appear too demanding, just went with rest of family) and OMG my post lunch numbers shot up over 10.5

Back to LCHF... goodness gracious... that was scary

Reactions: Garway

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
After all that enthusiasm on LCHF i ended up eating rice for lunch today (not wanting to appear too demanding, just went with rest of family) and OMG my post lunch numbers shot up over 10.5

Aye, when a number like that is there in all its LED glory it is scary. Still, its a lesson learned.

Keep calm and carry on low carbing. :)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
LC will always be beneficial,

That's a great example of what processed refined carbohydrate does, sky rockets the BG, and the pancreas works real hard to try to deal with it and fails. It's incredibly frustrating to see a number like that, I've seen a few over the last 9 days since having some surgery done under a general anesthetic and a general higher trend overall, but things are improving.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

That's a great example of what processed refined carbohydrate does, sky rockets the BG, and the pancreas works real hard to try to deal with it and fails. It's incredibly frustrating to see a number like that, I've seen a few over the last 9 days since having some surgery done under a general anesthetic and a general higher trend overall, but things are improving.

Get well soon.

M

Member496333

Not worth stressing over. It’s done now and lesson learned. Pick up and move on :smug:

Reactions: Gran25
M

Member496333

Sorry to hear you’ve been in the wars. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone.. i was totally shocked and felt terrible... now back to 5.9. Feeling good. And yes lesson learnt!!! No letting up!!! LCHF is my mantra!!!

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks and hope you get well really soon

Reactions: Tophat1900

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree and they are available in the UK too but.... I'm not convinced that grinding stuff up into an unnatural state is as good as eating it as it comes naturally. I think it may allow excessive consumption.. but that's just me. Peanuts anyway aren't nuts but legumes so maybe best avoided..
Edit to add and peanut butter is 12% carbs, hyper palatable and easily eaten with a spoon so measurement is made harder.
Depends on brand of peanut butter - whole earth crunchy is 7.4g per 100g.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Foodie Market Almond butter, 100% almonds. No palm oil. 4.4g/100 carbs.

Last edited:

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok if you are happy with palm oil
  • Roasted Peanuts (97%), Sustainable Palm Oil, Sea Salt

Pardon my ignorance but is palm oil that terrible that it needs to be avoided even in small quantities? I thought it was just neutral i.e nothing great but nothing terrible either (other than the unsustainable ways in which it has been grown).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pardon my ignorance but is palm oil that terrible that it needs to be avoided even in small quantities? I thought it was just neutral i.e nothing great but nothing terrible either (other than the unsustainable ways in which it has been grown).
Not that terrible to eat possibly but even the "sustainable" tag can be quite misleading.. I simply try to avoid things that aren't in their natural state i.e. I'd make my own peanut butter if I wanted it (although to be truthful I've always hated it anyway).

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not that terrible to eat possibly but even the "sustainable" tag can be quite misleading.. I simply try to avoid things that aren't in their natural state i.e. I'd make my own peanut butter if I wanted it (although to be truthful I've always hated it anyway).

That is cool!!! As i live in SE Asia, I realize palm oil is a major revenue for the economies here but the unsustainable practices are quite worrying as they wreck havoc on environment and lives!!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is cool!!! As i live in SE Asia, I realize palm oil is a major revenue for the economies here but the unsustainable practices are quite worrying as they wreck havoc on environment and lives!!
Exactly. Similar to (over)fishing in the “golden” triangle there.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that describes my levels of high fat intake i.e. higher than the lower levels I was at for the years where I cut fat out of my diet.

So @Robbity you are saying that you can regulate your weight with your levels of fat intake?

I have no intention of speaking for @Robbity , but it is sometimes said we regulate our carbs to please the blood glucose meter, and our fats to please the bathroom scales. That's makes a fair bit of sense as a simple explanation.

Reactions: Debra67 and Shas3