Low readings before bed.

Brian19631

I am new on this forum. I am 55yrs old and was diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes about 5 weeks ago. I’m taking insulin injections 4 times per day at the moment. I have been attending hospital and was informed it could be Type 2 now. I have been given a Libre machine to test my levels over the next 14 days. The problem I have is getting low readings before I go to my bed and I have to get something to eat to raise my levels usually a couple of digestive biscuits and a glass of milk. Readings over the last couple of nights was 4.1 rising to 10.9 and 4.5 to 9.1. Is it safe to go to bed with low readings or do I have to raise my levels. Hopefully someone can help.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If you still have active insulin in your system then you need to bring it up. However I would suggest one biscuit or the milk not all three in combination. Also do you check the Libre reading against a finger prick?

Brian19631

Thanks for your reply I will see what my results are tonight and try 1 biscuit. My last injections are usually around 5 or 6 at night. Before my evening meal I take 6 units of novo rapid.

SOPHIE2006

I am new on this forum. I am 55yrs old and was diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes about 5 weeks ago. I’m taking insulin injections 4 times per day at the moment. I have been attending hospital and was informed it could be Type 2 now. I have been given a Libre machine to test my levels over the next 14 days. The problem I have is getting low readings before I go to my bed and I have to get something to eat to raise my levels usually a couple of digestive biscuits and a glass of milk. Readings over the last couple of nights was 4.1 rising to 10.9 and 4.5 to 9.1. Is it safe to go to bed with low readings or do I have to raise my levels. Hopefully someone can help.
I've always been told to go to bed with a reading of 8, any lower and you could have a hypo during the night. Hope this helps

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do as you do, take my Lantus at ten-ish with a reading of 5 or so and take some carbs as well. The trick is knowing, through repeatability, that your sugars will rise after you have gone to bed and you'll wake without being low next morning...

Reactions: Adrianjj

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If my read is below 5 before going to sleep, I will enjoy a small amount of fruit, like a third of a banana or half an apple. If I wake up and feel that certain feeling of impending doom, I will eat a few more bites of fruit. I don't want to go too high but just to avoid a low. I drink lots of water so that I will have to wake up.