BG going up 2 hours after eating...

Indy1282

Today i had a ham salad brown bread sandwich for lunch. I took my insulin then went for a 20min walk. My arrow was pointing straight down on the Libre so I started to eat. I took the correct amount of insulin and my BG rose from 5.3 to 7.5 after 2 hours. Then I checked 30 min later and it was going up to 10. It rose slowly up to 12.2 at about 3 hours then started to drop back down.

Is it the the bread that's doing this?

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today i had a ham salad brown bread sandwich for lunch. I took my insulin then went for a 20min walk. My arrow was pointing straight down on the Libre so I started to eat. I took the correct amount of insulin and my BG rose from 5.3 to 7.5 after 2 hours. Then I checked 30 min later and it was going up to 10. It rose slowly up to 12.2 at about 3 hours then started to drop back down.

Is it the the bread that's doing this?
Yes the bread will push your levels up, if you're using novorapid it'll peak 1-2 hours after injecting where it has maximum effect then tapers off after up to 5 hours, it varies depending on the insulin type.

Reactions: merlin 2

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It will be the fact that it is brown. It is slower to be absorbed. You could try experimenting with either a split dose or a later bolus. It depends how you feel about the spike. Pre Libre days it is not something you would have seen and therefore not worried about. We strive for more perfection these days, hence the experimentation. I split bolus most of my meals these days.

Reactions: smc4761