Let down by GP

Dee1956

I have been badly let down by my GP, she told me that I had type 2 diabetes and asked me if I had ever been tested for sugar, I said I did not remember ever having such a test, so she looked back through my notes and said "oh yes you were bordeline diabetic in 2005", WHY the hell was I not told this at the time?. When I was diagnosed I was told by the doctor that I had a migraine, and was told to leave it over the weekend and see what developed, I had gone to the surgery with numbness in my hand and a general feeling of being unwell. I was not happy with this diagnosis and demanded a second opinion , so another doctor from the practise was called on the phone and he advised to go get checked out at the hospital, my sugar level was 23.5 at the hospital. On returning to the surgery I was told to take 4 x 500 mg which I thought was a lot, I tried them and felt really poorly on them after two weeks so refused to take any more, I test twice a day and keep control with diet and excersise .
I was also told to take simverstatin which I point blank refused after seeing the side effects my husband suffered with them , my cholesterol was 5.1 which my doctor said was very high, the consultant at the hospital said it was pretty good considering my diabetes and age and weight I am 55 and he said there was really nothing to worry about . I went in April for my annual blood test and the nurse refused to do it because I was 5 minuites late for my appointment, I was told to go to the hospital to have the test , I did not have time to go for the test and I am still waiting to hear from the surgery as I still have not had my annual check up. They are so pathetic, I am now trying the 600 calorie a day to get this disease reversed hopefully . I no longer have any faith in my GP or any others , they are all out to get as much money as they can for dishing out pills. A friend of mine is on 31 tablets a day and his doctor still does not know what is wrong with him . They are so pathetic, I asked my doctor to take me off my anti depressant pills for the past 4 years ( I was put on them 20 years ago and the dose increased by double to 300mg when I lost my son 8 years ago) my doctor constantly said "no, you cannot come off them yet , you need them still". Yes I needed to take them so that she was being paid for handing them out every month. I have now been off them for the past two months and for the first time in 20 years I feel human . I got off them myself by reducing the dose by cutting the tablets in half then in quarters then taking them every other night it took me almost 6 months as I did it really slowly but I made the decision and did it myself. I now aim to sort out my diabetes myself too as I am getting no help at all from my GP. I feel so let down.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I hear ya. Keep us up-to-date on your progress.

And well done on successfully taking yourself off medication that you had been on for 20years(!). That couldn't have been easy.

Dee1956

Hi Patch,
Many thanks for the congratulations , very true it was not easy to come of the anti depressants but I have done it and I am so pleased to feel like a human again.
Take care
Dee :) x

mariab

Hi Dee
You poor thing. I thought I had a bad experience with my GP but it was nothing compared to your experiences. Do you have another practice you can register with? Well done to come off the anti-depressants!!
Maria x