Women’s problems!!

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!

I’ve been type one for 21 years now... I’ve been on hormonal contraceptives since I was 15 and I’ve had 3 children in amongst that. (2 living and one angel- not diabetes related.) on the whole my control is good, but I had my daughter almost a year ago and I had the copper coil inserted because I didn’t want any hormones. I fell pregnant quite quickly with all my pregnancies so I never had to get to grips will a real cycle- they’ve all been artificial or nonexistent before! This is about my 5th cycle after finishing breastfeeding and it’s so difficult and I feel it’s steadily getting worse as I get back to normal- have noticed the disappearance of the hormones from pregnancy over the last few months!

It’s hell!!! The rest of the month is great- really happily well controlled- but for 4 days before my cycle starts my sugars are constantly high and I feel like ****!!! They will be in range then shoot up after I eat and just stay around 13-14!!!! They’re so brittle and the slightest thing sends me high! It is most definitely hormone related! Once my period starts my sugars are slightly lowered- but not bad- just back to normal!

I’m on an Omnipod pump- do I plus temporary basal? Do I adjust carb ratios? How do you ladies deal with this!?! Any help greatly appreciated!!!

(Have tried phoning diabetes nurse, but keep getting answer phone... )

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to increase my basal a few days before period started and that was fine for me. As soon as my period started, I knew to reduce my basal back to normal.

Everyone is different. If your highs only occur after eating, perhaps you need to increase your bolus . . . Maybe even both basal and bolus!

After a few years, I found I no longer needed an increased basal, so things can certainly change

If you left a message for your nurse, hopefully she'll get back to you soon. I can't remember if I asked at the clinic, or just decided to make changes myself. (I was still on MDI in those days).

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Tweety88 I get the same, however some months it's non existent and some months it's up to 5 days of correcting high numbers, so it's not even predictable. If you can predict with some accuracy and there is a regular pattern to it then you can set up a temp basal pattern with a % increase however also to note that within a day of my period starting I can then drop like a ton of bricks and i'm hypo central if I don't catch it quickly too so you have to take care with the adjustment.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have exactly the same issue, and I’m also on Omnipod. I have a special basal program for this few days named “shark week” which is around 30% higher all round. I switch back to my usual program as soon as my period starts.