5htp

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondered if any other diabetics had come across this supplement.

Used it initally to help with sleep and has worked very well.

Amazingly it seems to have brought my blood sugars under control at night and in the morning.

Been t1 for 4 years and still in honeymoon but fasting levels were creeping upto 7. For the last week after using this supplement i have woken up with a high of only 5.5. I also used to have spikes at 11pm just before bed but these seem to have disappeared too.

My diet / exercise levels have not changed and this is the only thing i have been doing differently so has to be linked

Long may it continue

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could it just be because you are sleeping better, rather than a direct result of the supplement?

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I have not used or heard of 5-HTP so did the old Google and does seem to be used for many things and helping sleep appears to one of them.

Out of interest is this something you have bought or prescribed by a doctor?

just bought off amazon following research online.

Reactions: Knikki

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would sleeping better prevent the dawn phenomenon occurring?
I can’t answer from a Type 1 perspective as I’m type 2. I always also sleep very well so can’t say I have personal experience of this, but I’ve just seen people post that their levels are higher when they have poor night’s sleep.

Reactions: Freema and Knikki

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.2 was my fasting blood sugar this morning (as in honeymoon period only using novorapid at the moment). Will continue to use 5htp until it stops working

Reactions: Freema

sudsandsoda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been taking 5HTP for about 10 years for OCD / anxiety. I’m newly diabetic, so can’t comment on what it does to BG levels but it’s been amazing in other areas of my life!

Reactions: Speedbird